Random breath test Sir


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Ipswich
June 8th 2009
Published: June 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 43 - Willowbank Raceway to Mermaid Beach (and back!)
We wake up this morning all on our own, no 5.45am alarm call! We’re still at Willowbank but are off to see Daz before he flies back to NZ tomorrow. There’s been a hot rod show on at Coolangata on the Gold Coast so we’re going to meet up for lunch and check the show out if it’s still on by the time we get over there! It’s about an hour and 30 minute drive mainly on toll roads and it’s the Queens Birthday national holiday here today so we figure the roads might be quiet in the morning but busy later on. We start our journey towards Broadbeach and the Miami Surf Club where we’re meeting for lunch but just outside the track on the main highway we’re pulled over by the local police. As we come to a stop we’re greeted politely and Darryl is asked if he’s had anything alcoholic to drink this morning. “Nothing at all” says Darryl and then he’s asked to blow into the machine with one continuous breath until told to stop. Obviously he passes the test and we’re soon on our way with a cheery smile!

As we get closer to our destination the phone goes and the lunch time venue has changed! We’re now meeting at the Mermaid Surf Club in Mermaid Beach! No drama or problem for us, we’ve got Tom Tom! We figure we’re really quite close to Surfers Paradise as the view in front of us is full of skyscrapers mixed with theme parks! The houses that line the roads are gorgeous and there’s a network of canals lined with executive homes, all with boats obviously! It certainly gives the impression of an up market place to live!

We arrive at Mermaid Beach and it is, of course, gorgeous! The surf club is undergoing renovation but has a beautiful outlook over the coast line. We enjoy a great lunch and meet up with Daz and Trevor plus the other gents and ladies from the Pokeno Hot Rodders club back in Daz’s new home town in NZ.
We pop out for a lovely walk along the beach, there’s not too many people down there but the life guards are on duty and there are some surfers, swimmers and sea kayakers about!

Daz brought us a copy of Hot Rod, the NZ rodder mag, and told us to look out for a gorgeous car pictured in there! It is of course his very own Pandemonium dodge! Thanks for that Daz although you did forget to sign it!! We say goodbye and wish them a safe flight home and send our love to Daz’s other half Sarah who we’re really looking forward to catching up with next year!

The journey home is a quiet one, well it is for me because I nodded off! I presume there were no problems! We’ve got a couple of test days at the track tomorrow and Wednesday which we’re really looking forward to being around and then we hope to spend some time on the Gold Coast, fingers crossed.

All’s good here, hope everything is still warm at home! Speak to you soon.

Dar and Sar



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Darryl checks out Daz's car in the mag!Darryl checks out Daz's car in the mag!
Darryl checks out Daz's car in the mag!

Top right is the gorgeous Dodge Daz took with him to NZ. 2nd row, middle pic shows the hole in his block as a result of the run! Not good and we hope that he gets a new engine sorted soon ... with any luck it will be the Hemi he's craving!


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 10; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb