The fiancees arrive in Brisbane!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Hervey Bay
August 7th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

It's definitely been a while and I've been a busy bee. Not sure when last I wrote but think it was from Airlie Beach. So here goes - I finally dragged my beach bum behind away from Airlie on Wednesday and took a bus to Prosperpine where I got a flight to Brisbane. I checked into a hostel near the train station for convenience more than anything and in my room was the single most annoying Canadian I've ever met in my life - needless to say the mood was the greatest. This was exemplified by the fact that I'd been out the previous night with the guys from Port Douglas. So I was in serious self pitying mood.

Niamh and Mark were arriving from Ireland on Wednesday night and we'd planned to meet up at a later date. However I got a text from Barry (Niamh's brother) to say he and Sinead (Niamhs cousin) would come in to meet me for a drink. So I gladly ran away from the crazy Canadian & met the 2 of them. I ended up going to the airport with Sinead and Barry to meet Niamh & Mark who were surprisingly bright eyed and bushy tailed for a couple who'd experienced the trauma of engagement only weeks previously and then travelled half way around the world!

We went back to Barry & Sineads place where they had a lovely surprise waiting (a cake and champagne). We ended up chatting for a while and then everybody went to bed and I ended up staying there too. The next day we strolled around Brisbane and didn't do a huge amount. The following day we took a boat to Lone Pine koala sanctuary, where we got to hold ko-alas (for those ignoramuses amongst you in Oz it's pronounced Ko aahlas). it wasn't a very pleasant experience , they stank like pee, clawed us, did number 2's on us, but they were kind of cute. At the sanctuary they had a Kindy for the babies, a Bachelor pad for the boys and a Retirement home for the oldies. We also got to feed kangaroos - really not a very pleasant experience either, think i was afraid they might attack. mark braved it though - tough man that he is and Niamh went with in about 10 feet of one which was quite impressive! We took a leisurely boat trip past very salubrious neighbourhoods back to Brisbane, where we went for dinner with Sinead and Barry.

Friday night was an extremely lively and eventful affair - think that about covers it! Saturday was spent recovering from a night that was better best forgotten. We went wedding dress shopping with Niamh - she's was a stunner (is still of course!), would love to post a pic for ye but her fiancee might peek! Later that evening we had a traditional Ozzie barbie, which was really nice, prior to that we played tennis & football. Saturday night we dragged our lazy butts to the pub to watch the football - think we should've stayed at home. Sunday we did very little again - planned a picnic for the whole day - eventually left the house at about 4.30pm at whic point the sun was setting - so we sat in the cold with an ant infestation. At this point all of the bodies were suffering but we knew the Cork hurlers needed our support (for all the good it did!) so we went into town to watch the match. I met a guy from home - the world's just way too small.

Yesterday we had a little lie in and picked up our rental car at 3, we hit the road about 4 and headed North to Noosa where we spent last night - Niamh's first night in a dorm! We'd a leisurely morning in Noosa this morning followed by a long car trip to Hervey bay which is where we're at now. Forgot to add that I dropped my camera into the sea this morning hence no photos accompanying this blog. We head to Fraser Island tomorrow for 2 daysw - if we don't make it back blame the dingoes!


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

A cassowaryA cassowary
A cassowary

Which I wrote loads about up North, but never actually managed to get a photo!


7th August 2007

gloomy cork
well Katie i presume you saw the match...... the general opinion is that cork were not able for the intensity of waterford and if only we could kidnap Dan Shanahan...... i gather from you that you are having a great time and a bit of chaos thrown in.... still very jealous at all you are doing and looking forward to more pics and blogs..... weather here very changeable and there are queues at travel agencies trying to escape.......

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb