Standown Park, War vets find peace.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Gympie
December 2nd 2012
Published: December 3rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Situated on the Gympie/Tin Can Bay road, we arrived at Standown Park. We take our hats off and salute, the vision of Rod and his wife Pam for their drive and total commitment to the betterment and welfare of returned service personnel. They have created a camping/caravan park dedicated to war vets, and warmly welcoming all non service people as well. To Stand Down is a military term instructing a soldier to Stand down from active duty, how appropriate. We set up camp on a large grassed area, just near the forest, but not too far from the well built camp kitchen and amenities block.

Rods' wingman is Landers, we only knew him as Landers, greets every new arrival with warm and genuine friendship. Every night at the going down of the sun he gets the community fire going, just in time for happy hour, where everyone is welcome to share his fire, have a few coldies, and chat under the stars to the tune of the crackling fire. On wednesday nights it is community stew night, you guessed it, everyone brings along food offerings, and it all goes into the giant cooking pot to create the 'mother' of lucky dip stew. Meanwhile Rod is doing a giant damper bread in his mega dutch ovens, and then everyone lines up with their bowl in hand, Rod fills it up with lucky dip stew, and then whacks a generous serve of his crackerjack damper.We must say, one would think a little bit of this and a little bit of that would probably end up being too many cooks spoiling the broth, but not so, Grasshopper, we found it somewhat unusual, but it seemed to morph into its own unique flavour and texture.

Set the scene, roaring fire, winter stars, hot stew and damper, great companions with great yarns, it doesn't get much better. Basho doesn't play guitar and sing much these days, but Rod got out his guitar to entertain us, and I thought it was appropriate that I sing for my supper and to show our appreciation of this unique place with its special people. In all my playing days at RSL's I quickly learnt you never ask a soldier about the war, if they decide to open up their hearts and minds with whatever is in there painful or otherwise, you just sit down, shut up and listen and think yourself fortunate they choose to share their stories with you.

I will not betray a soldiers confidence suffice to say, that we felt very privileged to be in their company, and sense the comraderie that lights up among returned service people. We look forward to dropping in again next winter on our northern sojourn, so thanks Rod and Pam for sharing so much with us.

So its hooroo, for now, have fun, be happy, Bilbo & Basho.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0248s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb