Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Gympie
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Gympie
Latest Blogs from Gympie
- March 6th 2013 On The Road
by Words: 497 Photos: 0
- December 2nd 2012 Standown Park, War vets find peace.
by Words: 471 Photos: 6
- November 18th 2012 Six Mile Creek Rest Area, Gympie,
by Words: 470 Photos: 5
- September 7th 2012 Towoomba/Goldcoast/Bribie Island/Noosa/Yandina
by Words: 546 Photos: 1
- January 5th 2012 New Year at Borumba, Qld
by Words: 306 Photos: 5
- June 11th 2011 Brooloo Park
by Words: 253 Photos: 4
- April 23rd 2010 The Valley Rattler
by Words: 218 Photos: 10
- November 8th 2009 Camping Country
by Words: 2479 Photos: 5
- November 7th 2009 365 Days later
by Words: 4146 Photos: 7
- February 24th 2009 Yee-haw?
by Words: 1091 Photos: 13
- October 17th 2008 Mustering and a country pub
by Words: 215 Photos: 0
- October 16th 2008 Day 4... Fencing and chainsaws
by Words: 421 Photos: 0
- October 15th 2008 Dirtbikes- Day 2 training
by Words: 322 Photos: 0
- October 14th 2008 Day 1 training!
by Words: 504 Photos: 0
- October 13th 2008 From the Outback of Australia!
by Words: 504 Photos: 0
- July 13th 2008 Good Days, Sunshine
by Words: 1095 Photos: 10
- July 2nd 2008 The Dogs of the Bush
by Words: 1428 Photos: 18
- April 27th 2008 Anzac Day weekend
by Words: 487 Photos: 21
- March 30th 2008 Cedar Pocket, Spiders, Bugs and Frogs!
by Words: 493 Photos: 0
- March 20th 2008 WWOOFing
by Words: 116 Photos: 0