Paradise in Fraser Island


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
December 6th 2010
Published: December 30th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


On the only registered road on Fraser IslandOn the only registered road on Fraser IslandOn the only registered road on Fraser Island

There are no roads on the island, the only registered road is the beach itself!
A few days of quiet were over and we headed to where postcard scenes are made – Fraser Island. We stopped over for one night in Rainbow Beach in a holiday home that was truly a home away from home. We were lucky in enough to bag ourselves a three bedroom apartment with a good size lounge and magnificent balcony featuring a large dining table and outdoor cooker. We had a fantastic meal on the balcony with background soothing sound of rain. The weather did get better though and so we went to check out the local sandblow which is a huge space of pretty much sand that has blown over the years from the beach to the land. An amazing sight!

After a fantastic night sleep we set of on our three day tour of Fraser Island – Fraser Island, World Heritage listed, stretches over 123 kilometres and is the largest sand island in the world made up of 98% sand and only 2% rock. Although a fifteen minute ride from mainland to the island, the island is isolated (and surrounded by sharks) and as a result has limited electricity and no mobile phone coverage meaning we were just as isolated. It never felt like that though! We found ourselves on a tour with a fantastic group of people and we made some great friends.

On our first day we went to the highest perched lake in Australia – Lake Wabby; this means a lake that is found above sea level. It took a gruelling half hour walk in the rain through woodland to get there and back and by the end we were all looking for our cups of hot chocolate and hot showers. Day two promised the postcard moments. Lake Birrabeen is spectacular and the scene leaves you speechless. We walked onto this beach that was so white it hurt your eyes and the water was crystal clear. The sun was out in its full glory and with out sun-glasses you would miss this amazing place. You sit on the soft sand and that leads into the lake with a back drop of lush green forest. Yet another perfect beach on our travels!! 

Our final day took us on a hike up to Indian Head – the northern most lookout on the island. It wasn’t an easy walk more a climb of rocks and
Lake BumaginLake BumaginLake Bumagin

The lake is surrounded by tea trees and they leak their residue into the lake making it appear red.
then climbing up more rocks and a close call near the cliff edge. Sitting there on the cliff edge you face the big open sea and watch for what marine life will put on a show for you. We are currently out of whale season so we missed them but we got to see a sea turtle and a great view of the island beach. The only officially registered road on the island is the beach; that’s right, the road is the beach and it’s all sand – of course it is because the island itself is 98% sand. The only way you can drive on this island is in a four wheel drive and then a fair bit of experience of driving in the sand.

It was an eventful few days. We had a pippy race (pippies are from the clam family) and they bury themselves in the sand. You dig them up on the beach and place them on the surface, then wait a few seconds as you watch this shell disappear into the sand as if like a magic trick. Nature is a wonder and sometimes we just don’t get it. More eventful was the night walk back from the pub to our accommodation. A five minute walk on the beach in pitch black with flesh eating dingoes I can handle but the very jittery four girls I was walking back with were more scary – one of them being Poonam!

Our trip back to the mainland was a literal wash out as we returned to torrential down pour. The way I see it is that the island was crying at our departure as we returned to our travels! 😞


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

The tour group to FraserThe tour group to Fraser
The tour group to Fraser

A great group of people we made good friends with.


Tot: 0.129s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0867s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb