The wet rain forest


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cape Tribulation
July 25th 2009
Published: July 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We got up and headed down to the breakfast provided, it was raining on the way which is apparently unusual at this time of year. After Simon had tried everything and we were all pretty full, we went out onto the beach using the umbrellas provided. There were a few breaks in the clouds and the rain came in short sharp bursts. It was still t-shirt weather though, despite the rain.

We booked in for an exotic fruit tasting session in the afternooon, but went to cape tribulation beach first. There we managed to sculpt a rather good looking crocodile out of the sand, as well as burying people up to their knees.

Then we went to the fruit farm, and tried a variety of fruits, pretty much all of which we'd never heard of before. We started with a drink of water with west indian lime juice in it - which is like a normal lime but smaller and with more pips.

Then we tried pomelo (like a big grapefruit but not as bitter), yellow mangosteen (a bit sour), black sapote (also called chocolate pudding fruit - very black, but not very chocolatey), sapodilla, star apple, longan (like a lychee), davidson plum (sour), rollinia, yellow sapote (my favourite, a bit like demerara sugar in a fruity way), soursop.

Then we went on a boradwalk through the rain forest which lived up to its name by raining heavily at times (first time for weeks!). We got rather caught towards the end and all got rather wet.

So we called in for a takeaway burger, hotdog and fish and chips to take back as we were all rather wet and tired by now. The rain continued off and on for most of the night!



Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Exotic fruitsExotic fruits
Exotic fruits

The pomelo, the ancestor of the orange and the grapefruit!


26th July 2009

What a great crocodile! You should win a prize for that. Glad the rain didn't stop the fun. I like the snazzy umbrellas.

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0377s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb