Back to civilization


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Palm Cove
July 26th 2009
Published: July 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Out of the jungle and back into the more developed world. Well that's where we headed today.

After another full breakfast, which was nearly, but not quite great (there were a load of ants in the sugar bowl, and the cooked breakfast was nearly there), we packed up and headed back south.

We stopped just before the ferry to visit the Daintree forest discovery centre. Here you could walk through the jungle on high up walkways, and climb a tower right the way up to the top of the canopy. There was a guide book and audio guide to show you around, and a few snakes and things in displays. Mostly it was a lot of trees though, all competing like mad against each other to get the light.

Then, back on the road and back across the ferry. Past miles of sugar cane again, and the odd tea plantation. Also a field of palms with plastic bags attached, which we didn't figure out. We also saw smoke in the distance which turned out to be a small bush fire when we got closer.

Then we reached Palm cove, our home for the next 4 nights. It is right next to the beach, and is a massive apartment. Its quite a walk from one bedroom to the next, and has a well equipped kitchen and lounge. The only downside is, I have to go out and lounge by the pool to get internet access - sigh!

We went swimming for a bit in the pool, where Rachel and Simon practised with the snorkel, as we hope to go to the reef in the next day or two. After that we went to the supermarket to get milk and other basics, and picked up some take away pizzas from a pizza shop to eat at home in front of the Simpsons! How decadent!
Tomorrow we'll have to summon up the energy to stagger the 20 feet or so to the beach...


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0896s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb