The Tropical North


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
May 30th 2006
Published: May 31st 2006
Edit Blog Post

WipeoutWipeoutWipeout

Getting thrown off the tube, the boat driver made it flip over, so we all went off.
Been in Cairns a few days now, and so far we are loving it. This is easily a place where we could spend months, there is so much to do. Sam flew back to Sydney today, before heading off to the UK and back to work, so it is just me and Josh again for the time being. The weather so far here has been fantastic... it's a tropical climate so it's been pretty humid, but the rainy season has just ended so it's all sunshine and temperatures in the mid to high 20s which is great. We have basically just taken advantage of that warm weather and spent our last few days in the water. Had a pretty surreal experience as well, Josh, Sam, and I were walking into Cairns to go to a bar and bumped into 3 lads from mine and Josh's year at George Abbot, (Tom Field, Joe Nicolas, and Will Knight for those of you who also went there!). Was really cool to see some familiar faces and to catch up with all they're doing, they flew to New Zealand the next day, which is our next destination, so we may be seeing them again.

A few days back Josh, Sam, and I signed up for a watersports package and went jetskiing, parasailing, and tubing in the Cairns harbour, needless to say it was an awesome day. The Jetskis we had were very quick (up to about 50mph) and also very big (3 seater, but we went one at a time) so we were able to race them around as quick as we liked with very little chance of capsizing. Parasailing was fun as well, just sat up there while the boat driver took the boat around the harbour... he dunked me in the water a couple of times, obviously I had no control of the parachute, so everytime he stopped the boat I would drop, it was fine though, it was a warm day and he enjoyed doing it! The tubing was probably the best bit though, it involved me, Sam, and Josh holding on to a very large inflatable while the boat driver did his best to throw us off. We mostly managed to hold on, but he did get us all off at one stage... when he managed to flip the thing upside down at quite a high speed! Yesterday we spent more time in a Qantas travel centre, ironing out the last bit of the cock-up I mentioned in a previous blog, it is all completely sorted now, finally. Then we went to the beach, not much more to write about it really, we sat there in the sun, the water was warm. Pretty nice.

Today we went on the cheapest tour in Australia, and you could tell why! We went to some beautiful areas, the rainforests and waterfalls were stunning, and we also went swimming in some secluded lakes. For some reason he also took us to a golf club that he wasn't allowed to take us to, just so we could look around, and then to some opal shop so he could flirt with the girls who worked there while he put us all in a room to watch a film about opal mining. It was definitely the oddest tour we've been on.

We've landed on our feet with the hostel we are staying in at the moment, it is easily the nicest one. It's clean, there's a swimming pool, kitchen is great, and it has satellite TV, so we will be watching the England friendlies at
Croc alertCroc alertCroc alert

A common sign in Cairns, this one was on Palm Cove beach.
ridiculous hours!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

TubingTubing
Tubing

Before we were thrown off
Tubing 2Tubing 2
Tubing 2

After being thrown off
Twin FallsTwin Falls
Twin Falls

At the Crystal Cascades park


1st June 2006

Croc alert
Glad you're loving life in Cairns. I'm spending 3 weeks there in June. Save an emu burger for me...
1st June 2006

lucky you!!!
You seem to be having a whale of a time, lucky you.The photos are wonderful so keep them coming, they make my day especially as the weather is so awful here seeing all that sun cheers me up.Sarah said Cairns is a great place to be so I can understand why you love it. Carrying on having a great time and keep the pics coming.Love Chris.
5th June 2006

New readers
Just caught up with your blog and passed the details on to Paul and Amy so everybody is following your trip from Plymouth. We managed to have a BBQ this weekend so thought of you in the great outdoors!! All looks pretty good so far with brilliant photos etc. Looking forward to seeing more.. Be safe Dave and Lyn

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb