North Queensland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns
May 11th 2005
Published: June 12th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Coming into land at CairnsComing into land at CairnsComing into land at Cairns

With a view like this we knew we where in for another big change of scenery!
"Totally Tropical!" Wow Australia really is the land of diversity. Ayres Rock, the red centre in the morning, jump on a plane, and we arrive in a tropical paradise with palm trees along the beaches and rain forest covered mountains down to the sea.
We spent the "arvo" wandering round Cairns city. It just doesn't feel like Australia here it's just to lush, tropical, humid and mountainous to be the same country! Cairns city was not as big as I expected but it is very touristy with loads of places offering tours and gifts etc. This wasn't a bad thing, us being tourists. The surrounding scenery around cairns is breath taking giving us both itchy feet wanting our campervan to get out into the rainforest and up the coast.
Next day we picked up our VanperCan (yippee) and headed for the rainforest up the mountains visiting Kuranda along the way up to Port Douglas.
There is normally a “sky rail” cable car over the rain forest to Kuranda but this closed for maintenance the day we arrived! Not all was lost as the drive was spectacular winding up through the rainforest with view across Cairns and the coast.
Arriving in port
Milla Milla FallsMilla Milla FallsMilla Milla Falls

You couldn't make one more perfect!
Douglas you do get the sense of driving into a world-class location with fancy hotels and perfect palm licked beaches. No high rise here all very nicely done.
Whilst the beaches in North Queensland look like something straight from the Bahamas don’t think about jumping in as from October - May the waters are full of Box Jelly Fish and these little stingers can kill! Disappointing after being use to jumping in at any moment in WA but we soon found that the locals have other natural places to swim at the many magnificent tropical waterfalls and rivers.
Next morning Steph wasn't feeling too well so we postponed our trip to the Great Barrier Reef for a day and instead took a drive all the way up to Cape Tribulation through the Daintree National park. This is as far north as you can go without a 4-wheel drive. Crossing the river by ferry into the National Park gives you a feeling of leaving civilisation behind and entering a tropical jungle paradise.

Next day Steph was feeling right as rain so we headed down to Port Douglas Marina to catch the Quicksilver catamaran out to the Great Barrier Reef!
Wow,
Cairns City LagoonCairns City LagoonCairns City Lagoon

The people of cairns can't swim in the sea due to stingers and crocs so they built their own!
what a day we had! I can recommend this trip to anyone who wants to sample the reef for a day. The Boat takes you 38 nautical miles out to a purpose built pontoon. This is where you can spend the day snorkelling, diving, gazing from the under water observatory and touring the reef in a semi submersible. We jumped at the chance of taking an optional introductory scuba diving session around the reef! This was the first scuba diving experience for us both and we loved it! It was like suddenly being granted access to another world!
Heading back south through Cairns swapping our rough running camper for vampercan number 3 and headed out to the Atherton tablelands. The tablelands, as the name suggests, are a huge plateau high up in the mountains. These were another big change of scenery with smaller fertile farms, rolling hills and awesome waterfalls.



Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

View from our hotel in CairnsView from our hotel in Cairns
View from our hotel in Cairns

Cairns is nestled in the surrounding rainforest mountains.
Lookout over cairnsLookout over cairns
Lookout over cairns

Taken on the way up into the rainforests
Falls near KurandaFalls near Kuranda
Falls near Kuranda

The pic doesn't do it justice, these were huge!
a BIG fish!a BIG fish!
a BIG fish!

We did warn you about more big objects!
Daintree villageDaintree village
Daintree village

Had a spot of lunch here!
Ferry across to Cape TribulationFerry across to Cape Tribulation
Ferry across to Cape Tribulation

Don't forget your jungle formula!
Marine Stingers SignMarine Stingers Sign
Marine Stingers Sign

The stinger in this sign is not "actual size"
Port DouglasPort Douglas
Port Douglas

A view coming back into Port Douglas on the Quicksilver Boat.
The Quicksilver CatThe Quicksilver Cat
The Quicksilver Cat

One of a few boats used for the quicksilver tour out to the reef.
Port Douglas Main BeachPort Douglas Main Beach
Port Douglas Main Beach

"4 mile beach" for obvious reasons!
Ascending into the Tablelands near CairnsAscending into the Tablelands near Cairns
Ascending into the Tablelands near Cairns

Winding up the mountains to the table lands near Cairns
A BIG crabA BIG crab
A BIG crab

According to the sign it's "For Sale" you too could own a crab like this!
Wallaman FallsWallaman Falls
Wallaman Falls

Austalia's highest falls! The nearby gorge is equaly spectacular


Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0484s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb