Queensland in the floods


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
January 23rd 2011
Published: January 23rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Another country and another obstacle to navigate – the floods affecting the East coast have meant that some places, like Brisbane, have had to be missed and some places, like Cairns, have taken up way more time than I would have liked. The reef diving here was amazing; so many brightly coloured fish, sparkling clear water and coral brushing against my flippers, but everything else was disappointing. I expected a gleaming city with beach bums everywhere, instead it is a small town designed for 18 year olds who like to take part in wet T-shirt contests that don’t actually involve wearing the T-shirt…

After finally escaping we did a 2-day tour of Fraser Island, which is a huge sand atoll off the coast. We lucked out with a great group and guide for the tour and had an awesome time driving a 4x4 down the beach, singing songs round the fire and camping amongst spiders, lizards and snakes. Nothing is ever smooth for us though and over the course of the 48 hours we got a flat tyre, a dead battery and a defunct clutch but this all added to the excitement and made it a true adventure in the wilderness.

A couple more stops along the coast to visit Australia zoo and Surfer’s Paradise and it’s time to leave the state for New South Wales and the delights of surfing, Sydney and hopefully sunshine.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0347s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb