Hang Gliding


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
December 23rd 2009
Published: December 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post


Hang gliding is a popular sport that is a staple in Cairns. It is wherein the pilot takes off using a lighter-than-body, unmotorized aircraft called a hang glider. The lightness of the aircraft can be attributed to the fact that the glider is made of an alloy from aluminum, or from a composite-framed fabric wing. Controls are determined via a body weight shift from the pilot (the only passenger anyway), much unlike other aircraft that have a steering-delivery system.

Cairns provides an awesome venue for hang gliding via Rex Point Lookout, which is found between Cairns and Port Douglas on Captain Cook Highway. Weekends are the best days to visit the site as a whole mass of gliders flying overhead make the best scenery from miles around.

Though a very dangerous type of hobby or sport, with numerous fatal accidents and high risk environment exposures, hang gliding remains to be popular. The sport is moderated by several key organizations.

Traveling with a campervan to the destination is a good idea, especially when bringing your family along.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0451s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb