Cuisine' ala Cairns


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » Cairns City
December 15th 2009
Published: December 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post



If you are one on a journey of gastronomic heights, Cairns can cater to some of most twisted whims. This city up above Down Under also knows how to combine exotic eating with fine dining. Independent food trips is fast becoming one of the hottest trends in food trips (no more of those stuffed restaurant and food-nook-and-cranny-houses you get brought into). So get your camper vans ready, go on a food trip (bring your family along to heighten the experience), and bring your tastebuds to a whole new reality of eating!

Why not start off with the meat of the infamous crocos? Crocos, or bush tuckers as they like to call it, are quite tender and juicy as opposed to the reputed stringy meat that some might think. The taste, is arguably more pork than chicken (probably because of this large lizard's diet), but you'd find a lot of restaurants up in North Queensland serving this delectable delicacy. Croco meat toughens when cooked quickly, so the usual dishes this meat is assigned to usually involves raw to medium rare, or anything that has a slow, soft heat.

Kangaroos, the very animal associated with Australia, is surprisingly, up for grabs as well. Kangaroo meat inherits the same vitality from the animal, so when you eat it, expect a full flavor and a certain kick once you've been embraced by its taste. Go for the restaurant's specialty when trying out a kangaroo dish. It is so versatile, there are a lot of ways to enjoy its meat. If you're a newbie cook who would like to serve kangaroo meat, go with a dish that requires fast cooking. Kangaroo meat easily dries out, so frying requires special attention. But the taste is easily worth it.

Emu, that large bird akin to an ostrich, is the next best thing for bird lovers everywhere. Emu meat has a low fat content per slab of meat and the cholesterol is also reduced. Tastes a lot like chicken, so first time eaters would know what to expect. The red meat is also low on saturated fats (bad fat) and high in protein. Emu is probably the outdoors man's delight. It is meat that is best served grilled or broiled, does not shrink much unlike other meats, is low on fat, does not require high heat and is overall good for the heart. Best served rare to medium rare, emu is now being added to grills and outdoor parties all across Australia.

Barramundi, as the symbolic sports fish of fly fishers everywhere, is not lacking in taste as well. Thes large-scaled fish are often served with lemon, and they're not too shabby about it either. Barramundi can go on par with some of the tasty fishes in the world, like salmon or tuna (don't use as a substitute though, barramundi has a delicate flavor that is it's own). But for whatever purposes, if you know how to cook fish, you'd definitely know how to cook barramundi.

That, or you can go with Coral Trouts, one of the best fishes for eating. A butter sauce and herbs make for a tasty, yet simple dish.

A lot of the markets off in Queensland and North Queensland now carry this line of products for tourists, should they want to bring a little part of their trip back. Of course, it is recommended for you to always go for the freshest pick of the day, so do your shopping early morning to pick the market's choice!

*photos courtesy of Photobucket

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0443s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb