Fly Fishing in the Reef


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Cairns » open water
December 14th 2009
Published: December 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post


A lesser known fact about Cairns is that it is also hosting some of the best fishing spots for salt water fly fishing. Cairns and the Great Barrier Reef is strategically situated in one of the world’s top fish nests and fishing nexus. Every imaginable fish has made the Great Barrier Reef a world marine mecca.

A whole lot of tourists from across Australia and even, from different parts of the world come down under to partake in this fishy journey. Not only fly fishing, but to also snorkel, scuba and float through the crystal blue depths of the reef.

The real experience in fishing is being able to defeat a fish that knows how to fight well. It depends on you to whether set it free, or to keep it for food or to stick it up your wall as a trophy. Bottom bouncing requires heavy hand lines, but gives the angler access to coral trout, and red emperors, some of the toughest fighters and tastiest among fish.



Chartered boats are usually shared and runs through a schedule from 7am to 5pm the whole day. Depending upon the weather, the schedule is subjected to change, especially if the weather takes a turn for the worst. Tackles and baits are mostly supplied, of course, the line is your responsibility. Charting services do vary from time to time, with some including food, while others do not. Prices also range.

If you’re a solo, especially from one who likes campervanning (see Camper van Cairns) around the entirety of Australia, you’d best sign up for a group booking, especially if this is your first time (and to cut down on costs too).

Hey, fly fishing is more fun if you have a lot of blokes to share your catch with!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb