Day 25 - Bowen and Dingo Beach


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Bowen
June 27th 2009
Published: July 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

7am start to the morning, which wasn’t good for Mia as she was still on WA time (5am) to wander round the Airlie Beach Markets, with lots of hand made jewelry and beaut local produce.

Then a trip up north of about 65kms to Bowen, via Proserpine.

There is a very cool shop in Proser, called Colours Me Crazy, which is packed to the rafts with LOUD clothing and way out jewelry, lots of candles etc. Mia was in her element.

Took the usual tourist photo’s at the Big Mango on route to Bowen .... during my travels I have seen the Big Pineapple, Big Lobster, Big Prawn, Big Sheep .. it must be an Australian thing .. mind you everything is BIG here !!

Bowen ( GPS S 20.00.45 E 148.14.44) seemed deserted for a Saturday, considering it has a population of 15,000 .... Big wide streets, and lovely old buildings. Manly a commercial fishing port and fruit and veggie growing region. Still lots and lots of sugar cane too.

Mia and I sat down at one of the beaches looking out towards Stone Island, to have fresh rolls and chicken for lunch. It’s a pity you can’t swim at the beach because of the “stinger” jellyfish ... we’ll you could if you have a stinger suit on, or rely on the emergency “Vinegar” stations...

Heading back to Airlie, we called in at Dingo Beach ... (GPS S 20.05.28 E 148.29.47) Now thats a place for The Beach Dweller !! more my size compared to Airlie, with a hand full of people, a Pub right on the beach over looking the crystal blue waters and tropical islands. Will definitely spend more time out there, I only realise how busy Airlie is when I get to places like Dingo Beach.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb