Central Queensland


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Blackall
September 28th 2007
Published: October 3rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Last night was a real dream compared to the night before. We stopped at a little place called Cunnamulla about 200 km over the border into Queensland. Very clean, grass even !!! Can't remember when we last saw grass. All our washing and ironing up to date and we even found time to wander around town. For those country music fans there is a statue of the Cunnamulla Fella, imortalised in a song by Slim Dusty and written by Stan Coster. It depicts the young stockmen of the 50's and 60's who worked from sun-up until sun-down and relaxed around the campfire at night, sitting on their saddles or swags yarning about the days events. The statue in the centre of Cunnamulla is made of bronze and was sculpted by Archie St. Clair from drawings by Michael Nicholas, who won a competition from around 50 entries. The statue was made in Texas, USA and brought to Australia and displayed in Brisbane before being placed in the position it now sits. Members of Stan Coster and Slim Dusty's families unvieled it in 2005.
We are now in Blackall. The famous black stump is here so we can honestly say we have been
Famous Black StumpFamous Black StumpFamous Black Stump

Blackall, Qld
beyond the black stump, and back of Bourke.
Yesterday afternoon and this afternoon we spent in the artesian pool and spa. Wonderfully warm and invigorating.
Having so much fun and feeling really relaxed - so relaxed Dad and Bazil are asleep.
Visited the Blackall Woolscouring plant this morning and had a guided tour of the plant which was the biggest shearing and wool washing and packing plant of its kind from 1906 til 1976.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Quaint Dunnies - MaleQuaint Dunnies - Male
Quaint Dunnies - Male

Augathella, Qld
Super Trev!Super Trev!
Super Trev!

Artesian Well, Blackall, Qld


Tot: 0.095s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb