Airlie Beach - Hervey Bay!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
March 3rd 2010
Published: March 3rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

We moved onto Airlie Beach and stayed in what was almost like a resort, with the rooms in cabins in a forest and a bar and shops etc at the front. It was good apart from the outdoor showers - someone left the light on in them so you can guess the size of the insect population in the morning!! It was a really nice place, quite small, but really sunny with lots of little shops and places to swim. We managed to bag a free drink each but decided to stop with the alcohol when we learnt a pint would be $11 (almost seven pounds!!!)

The next day Ryan went to the Whitsunday Islands (Amy deciding she wasn't bothered enough about it to pay the price they were asking!!) where he snorkelled on the Great Barrier Reef. It was pretty amazing to see all the different brightly coloured coral and fishes right beneath you - it's a completely different world down there. Stopping on Whitsunday Island itself, the sand was as white as it comes (apparently 98% silicon!) and the sea clear blue, which made for some nice photos!

From there we took an overnight bus to Hervey Bay where we had another great hostel, set back from the road in another forresty area. We even had several Possums climbing around outside our bedroom which came really close to us at several points. Ryan came very close to being urinated on while trying to get a picture of one directly above his head!

Hervey Bay is a lovely place, quite quaint and intimate. We had several great walks in and around the town and beach - on one occasion we saw literally thousands and thousands of bat roosting in trees, and an hour later when dusk came, they all flew off in a massive swarm! Neither of us had seen anything like it, it was quite surreal, especially as they made an odd squeaking noise as they flew. An Australian on a bicycle cycled past us while we were staring and shouted 'watch they dont shit on ya'. Nice!


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



8th March 2010

Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday, Amy! Have a great day!
8th March 2010

Happy Birthday
Hi Amy and Ryan Happy Birthday Amy- hope you had a fab day and my text managed to get to you- Auntie Ruth had to tell me when to send it with the time difference - I get confused easily! Glad you are having a fab time- happy travelling both of you. Keep posting those pics! Take care Russell and Helen xxx

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0439s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb