be cass-o-wary


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Airlie Beach
September 21st 2004
Published: September 21st 2004
Edit Blog Post

WallamanWallamanWallaman

"patsy--do you have a barrel?"
we've made it safely to Airlie Beach. A successful 500 + kilometers south of Cairns, adjacent to the lower half of the Great Barrier Reef. Matt has been the STUD driver, and I have been great at freaking him out by yelling out "hey--you're supposed to turn right in the right lane!!!" oops. thank goodness he thinks before listening to me😊.

last night was the first night we made use of our tent in Lumholtz National Park; we hiked down to and (barely made it back from) Wallaman Falls. This is the longest permanent single drop waterfall in the entire country of Australia, and we are so excited to share at least a photo of it with you. The hike was very beautiful -- tons of great bird sounds, causing occasional fear of the large and terrifying birds that inhabit the region (cassowaries), and different types of forest (wet tropics and dry)...and a gorgeous gorge😊. we even saw a platypus in the wild on a morning walk😊!!


so, sorry we only have one picture for you. the drive in between was pleasant...but we can sum it up in one word: sugarcane. (with occasional "cane trains" that ring the sugarcane fields)(oooh...and we passed a sugarcane mill that smelled like sweet corn!!) YAH!!!!


okay, have a GREAT week, all.

patsy & matt





Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0412s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb