On to the Olgas


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
August 1st 2009
Published: August 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

So 5:15am came, and Liz knocked on all our tents to get us to wake up. We then ate breakfast, got together a few things (it was still dark) and set off for the Olgas. The Olgas are a set of mountain/hillocks which were formed at the same time as Uluru, but are made with all the big bits of erosion. So they appear like a huge form of concrete when inspected closely. A conglomerate of huge stones and boulders surrounded by a red cement make up these, as opposed to the fine sand of Uluru.

We were in time to watch the sunrise on the Olgas, and the cold of the morning quickly disapeared through the exertion of the climb to the viewing position and the first rays of the sun.

After that we walked around one of the Olgas and Liz pointed out various plants, birds and other things as we went around, and gave us the history of the place.

Then most people including Simon and Cath walked completely around the first dome, a walk of about 7 km, which Rachel and I walked back the way we'd come with Liz to await the rest of them doing the circuit. After that we drove back to camp, packed up our belongings (which was a lot easier in the light) had lunch and then went North to Kings Canyon, another 3 to 4 hour drive. On the way we stopped to look at Mount Connor which we'd past the first day.

Opposite this is a large salt lake. Later on we stopped to collect more firewood, as tonights meal would be cooked solely using this!

We finally came to another campsite similar to the first, chose our tents but Liz said not to unpack anything more than necessary, as tomorrows start would be even earlier at 4:30am!

I think we all groaned! Anyway, we all pitched in preparing the tea, some slicing vegetables, others making damper (a sort of huge dumpling), and me, Rachel and Simon started the fire (just one match). Cath was busy on logistics, trying to work out how we could be ready to leave so early with everything packed.

The meal pans were brought to the fire (chicken, vegetables and damper) where the pots were covered with hot ashes and left to cook. When they were ready Liz pulled them out of the fire with a long rod and we tucked in. Then at about 9 with it already pitch black apart from a few meagre lights, the fire and our hand powered lanterns, we went to bed, aware of the very early start.




Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement



4th August 2009

food chez Olga
just like Sunday lunch at the Onions.
4th August 2009

Been there, done that, seen the same salt lake!!
LOL. We even stopped in the very same carpark between Mount Connor and the dried up salt lake! And we weren't even on a guided tour! I am soooo wishing I was back out there travelling with you!

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb