Uluru continued


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Uluru
September 25th 2008
Published: September 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

.... as the journey continued jerry still kept flirting, but I stood my ground! Other than the touching up from a camel the ride through the desert was pretty nice, which was complimented by a lovely sunset, although as soon as the sunset it was freezin! Yoli went prepared with a hoodie, I on the other hand did not! If it got much colder I may of needed to seek some camel lovin to keep me warm, but (thankfully) before this scenario occured we had returned to the camel farm - a warm building and cold beer awaited - sorry Jerry!
We'd dismounted our camels - which wsa an event in its self - yoli thought this process was worse than the ascent! and returned inside for a couple of cold ones and a few nibbles, Yoli and I were havin a bit of chat, missing out on what the nibbles were - no bother we thought and happily tucked in. Yoli approached a bowl of cubed meat - looked like beef - sampling a few she said this tastes like the sausage we have at home, to which someone said - oh thats camel! Yoli was discusted - she couldnt believe that we had been riding around on these lovely animals and now she was eating one!
We returned to the Outback Pioneer by 7.30pm - we were worried we might miss dinner as it stops at 9.30pm - no worries we'd made it back in plenty of time. The 'hotel' has a bbq option as well as a restaurant, only there is a twist - after buying the raw meat, you have to cook it yourself! We opted for lamb fillet, beef burger and two sausages - one beef, the other emu! intersting I thought, although yoli was less enthusiastic (mabye she was still in shock after the camel eating insident!?!). The area to cook the meat consists of a number of griddles and hotplates ready for action - I have to say the food was really tastey (and people say im modest!). After some well cooked tucka we dabbled at the pool table - it was a close call, but I managed to sneak it beating Yoli 2-1!
The following day we were up seriously early - provided the weather was good we would be seeing the sunrise over Uluru by helicopter. Thankfully the weather was fine (although very cold) and we flew - that was amazing, first time in a helicopter for both of us - we were well chuffed! The photos and videos (perhaps that may be down to my filming!) dont do it justice. It is hard to grasp how big these large formations are from the ground - but you begin to realise there mass when you see it from the air!
Following our sunrise helicopter ride we took off on an afternoon tour around Kata Tjuta. The weather certainly wasnt cold anymore! On route we stopped at a number of spots to take some piccies - nice! The tour stopped at Walpa Gorge - a gorge within Kata Tjuta - we had an hour to walk to throug the Gorge - after seeing this area by air ealrier in the morning, now we get to see it first hand, amazin! walking through the gorge I said to Yoli "this looks just like mars", to which she replied - "have you been?" - very funny! What i meant was its what i imagined mars to look like - hard red uneven surface to walk on, with vast valleys of red rock around us. We were last back to the bus - oops! - not because the walk was hard - seemed like a piece of cake in comparison to Badling! We now headed to Uluru to watch the sunset, we arrived to a table set up with nibbles and stacks (and stacks) of wine. After a large amount of the wine had been consumed (certainly by myself) we headed home - bbq time!
Emu was a no no tonight - not that special we thought. Rump steak - thats more like it! we sat down to eat, yoli wasnt too impressed with the steak - it was slightly rare for her liking, and mine was worse - not a good idea tackling the bbq after the vast amount of red wine i had consumed i thought - hinsight is a fine thing! This would be the final supper in Ayres Rock, the following day we flew to Cairns - promised to be interesting as we hadnt booked anywhere to stay .......


Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1020.1kb