Litchfield National Park


Advertisement
Published: September 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a couple of days spent in Darwin during the Darwin festival we had seen what we wanted to see, done what we had to do and were ready for anther road trip. By this time Chantal had decided to join me for Indonesia and we were due to fly out on the Wednesday late after so booked a car hire to get out to see Litchfield. Home to hikes, waterfalls and termites.

First stop of the day would be Woolworth's for some food, although we had planned to this with Steve who had camping gear, a stove and pots and pans. All we had was a spork and a mug each. So the next few days we lived on jam sandwiches, fruit and snack bars. Highly nutritious i know. Luckily one campsite had a cafe so we could at least get one hot meal.

When we get to Litchfield the first place we visit is the termite mounds. These things are amazing, slightly bigger than an ant but able to build these mounds up to 2m high. Next we drive to Buley rockhole then hike out to Florence falls for a cooling dip under the waterfalls. We drive onto Wangi falls to watch the sun go down over the top of the falls and then to my surprise hear the screeches of bats in the trees above. Now those of you that know me well know that there are only two things in this world that i hate. Rats and their flying cousins, bats, 5 mins later we are surrounded by literally thousands of them flying above us. Nice. After this we settle in for the night. Having no tent we sleep in the car and as its only a small car this is in the reclined front seats. Hot and uncomfortable but we manage to get some rest.

Next morning we go to Walker creek for our morning hike and find some shallow waterfalls surrounded by wildlife. We stay for an hour or so to cool off and have some lunch. Mmmmmmm more jam sandwiches! Yesterday we drove past Tolmer falls as we didn't have enough light to fit everything in on the first day. Wandering round here there was an amazing lookout to the waterfall below but you couldn't get down to the fall so we went back to Wangi for some snorkeling hopefully to bump into one of the turtles that apparently swim around the falls. No luck though. We go to the bat area again, god knows why, but while we're there we bump into this guy.

http://vlastislav.skvaril.googlepages.com/darwintoadelaideonapushscooter

Who on his 70th birthday is Leaving Darwin on a push scooter and heading south all the way to Adelaide. 3,000km in 40 days. 80km per day! Impressive is an understatement...

We wake the next day to drive back to Darwin. Drop off the car and fly to Bali. Can't wait!

bye for now.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0435s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb