Days Five, Six and Seven


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Kata Tjuta
September 19th 2008
Published: September 19th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I actually blogged to you all yesterday in the car as we were leaving Uluru but ran out of coverage and none of it was saved. Not happy.

Day Five was a massive day in many ways, not the least of which was the Olgas themselves. We were not prepared for theses monumental rock structures and for the diversity of the nature contained there. We walked through 'The Valley of the Winds' (an appropriate title for one Joseph Stocker after baked beans), a 7.4 km walk that takes you over rock faces, between huge boulders, over stony paths, up rocky slopes and through desert/bush. The view from the top of the chasm was amazing, breathtaking. And negotiating the rocks down the other side was very interesting. We were unable to learn the stories of the Olgas as they are deemed sacred Men's business for the Arangu people. After the walk, we returned to the Cultural Centre for a coffee (machine broken) and an icy pole ($4.70 for a Magnum) and had a look at the galleries and shops. We watched some Aboriginal artists at work and we loved the woman's painting of black geckos on a gold background. There were some fun souveniers bought. Back to camp for an invigorating swim in the pool, it's lovely and cold and then lemon-marinated chops for tea. I went to bed early, as soon as the kids were off to sleep, about 8.30, very, very tired. Piker apparently.

Up early on Day Six to pack up and head to Kings Canyon. Bron, Rob, Ro and Ruby all went up to the lookout to see the sunrise. It was bright and glorious. Magic. Then a fortunate breakfast. The chief cook and bottle washer from the school group accross the road (from Karingal no less, Bron is looking forward to meeting some of these kids @ Frankston Mag court in the future) came over and offered us pancakes for breaky. He had made too much pancake mix, so I went over and cooked up a stack of pancakes on his bbq. Bron ferried them over to our hungry baby birds. This fellow was so generous, he even gave us some cut up lemon and maple syrup. He also tried to palm off his left over apple crumble but we couldn't fit it in our fridge. The pack-up went quite smoothly, better than the ill-fated Pt Leo trip anyway. And we said goodbye to Uluru.

Bron now blogging. Headed away from the amazing uluru. Saw some more eagles and some wild horses sheltering under some trees on the road out. Stopped at Curtain Springs, thought i might try and grab some bread. Good try Bron but no go. Says the "sheila" at the shop, "it'll cost ya 7 bucks love and it's frozen". Then straight up to Kings Creek Station. Red dirt, a freezing pool and the best campsite in the world. I feel like we really in the desert at last. Kids are excited about camel rides. Have put up the campers without the annexes. Very civilised. Em and Mima made sensational hamburgers for the masses. Kids chilled playing ds's and we had a game of trivia after dinner. Saw the most amazing sunset. The stars are amazing too. They sit as low as the horizon, nothing like the big city stars. These are incredible.

Jac again now....Day Seven at Kings Canyon. We were up early (again) for an adventurous walk around Kings Canyon. We chose to do the 6km climb and walk around the top of the canyon. OH MY GOD!!! The first part of the "walk" is 100mtr straight up. With my heart beating somewhere around my ears, I said to Bron, "I dont think I can make it!". "Of course you can" she said. "Please don't tell the kids I'm a whinger", I replied. I am certainly not as fit as I was and doing some serious exercise makes you realise this. Anyway, we made it to the top of the canyon, rested and then continued over these incredible sandstone structures. At times it felt like we on a different planet, with the rock hills stretching as far as the eye could see, and at other times it felt like we were in Jurassic Park with many ancient plants but no dinosaurs. The kids were amazing. They have loved the walks we've done. Emma sang the mountain goat song from The Sound of Music as she walked today. Very appropriate. We are having a coffee and milkshake now at the Kings Canyon Resort before heading back to camp. Tomorrow off around the Larapinta Trail, so will be out of contact for a few days.

A few messages....Andrea, you asked what the blokes had to say about the trip....well, here it is....Ro says "Beer Rob?"....and Rob says, "Correct".
....Billie, we hope the production of 'Joseph' went well and that you broke a few legs.......and Bizz, we used some of your lovely spices in the hamburger mix last night, probably not what you had intended, but delicious anyway.

Bye for now, Jac

Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb