Day 21, Kata Tjuta


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Kata Tjuta
February 9th 2007
Published: February 11th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kata TjutaKata TjutaKata Tjuta

Just before sunrise.
It really was an early start, 4.30 am! survived the night, no snakes, spiders or dingos so am still alive. we drove to Kata Tjuta (the Olgas) which are a huge group of dome shaped rocks a few km our campsite and from ayers rock.

We watched the sunrise over the rocks whilst having breakfast which was beautiful and then got ready for the climb. It was a flatter walk today but longer and it was hotter. what i would have done for a shower! we had to ensure we drank at least 1 litre of water an hour.

The Olgas are beautiful. It was a good walk, although some people in the group struggled (the korean girls - but then they did wear jeans and didn't take any water!).

The walk took about 3 hours. after we had recovered we went to the cultural centre next to ayers rock to study the history of the aboriginals. But we (Team GB!) couldn't be bothered with anymore culture and went to the cafe and ate ice cream!

Our tour guide (who was an arrogant arse but we loved winding him up by asking stupid questions) said we could
Kata TjutaKata TjutaKata Tjuta

Let the climb begin!
go to the resort a few Km from the rock and use the swimming pool and showers! i thought i'd died and gone to heaven. time for some sunbathing, swimming and feeling clean again!

In the evening we went and watched the sunset over ayers rock. it was cool, the rock basically changes colour as it reflects the sun. We had yet more beer and had dinner whilst we watched the sun go down over this huge rock. Simply amazing!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Team GB at the rock.Team GB at the rock.
Team GB at the rock.

Andrew, steve, me and jen.
Changing colours of the rockChanging colours of the rock
Changing colours of the rock

as the sunsets the colours of the rock change from a bright red to dark red.


Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb