Kakadu National Park


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Kakadu National Park



First stop for the day was Mary River Roadhouse, on the way into the national park – the bloke running the information here was very helpful giving us plenty of maps, and detail of where to fish and which parts of the park were open. Unfortunately as the wet season has been so big (the biggest wet on record), most of Kakadu is still closed due to water levels and large sightings of saltwater crocs, however he still managed to point out some places on the map, as well as ‘local’ spots which we enjoyed travelling through.
Only 6km north of the roadhouse, we visited ‘The Rock Hole’, another little waterfall and swimming area. Not far from here, we set up camp at Kambolgie campground, leaving the Jayco chained to a tree and headed towards Yurmikmik to do a short walk to Boulder Creek – another plunge pool and waterfall.
On returning to our camp, we could not believe the lacking of common sense amongst three backpackers who decided to squeeze their Britz van less than 2 metres from where we were camped. Amazing, considering the rest of the campground appeared vacant. Why is this so??
An adventure tour bus pulled up around 10metres away, setting up and introducing themselves to us. We enjoyed listening to their didgeridoo while making the most of our fire, marshmallows and a bottle of wine. Funnily enough there was a bloke from Rennie – neighbours to a friend of ours from uni. What a small world!
The following day we continued north towards Nourlangie – a sacred place holding some Aboriginal rock art. We saw Nabulwinjbulwinj – the dangerous spirit who eats females after striking them with a yam; and Namarrgon – the lightning man, who has stone axes on his knees and elbows that make the sound of thunder!
We made a quick stop at Jabiru bakery to grab some fresh pull-apart bread, then set off for Merl Campground – apparently the second largest mozzie infested campground of our trip!
The East Alligator River was a great fishing spot – despite locals telling us of a man taken by a large salty 20 years ago. Lach managed to reel in a 58cm Barramundi – caught at Cahills crossing.
Just before sunset we visited Ubirr to take in some spectacular Aboriginal rock art.
The art demonstrated Mabuyu the fisherman; some favourite foods including long-neck turtle, barramundi and kangaroo; A Thylacine (Tassie tiger); Miyamiya (swelling) affecting the bones of a person who disturbed sacred Aboriginal sites; Man reaching for a rifle – thought to be a buffalo hunter or white settler. Very interesting.
We then climbed the rocks to watch the sun set over the flood plains, returning to our camp that seemed abundant in fat mozzies!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



25th May 2011

Hello from Deniliquin
Hi Its great to hear all about you travels,and you are doing very well with yours photos.We enjoyed having your beautifil dog for nearly a fortnight, he was know trouble at all, he liked the fire, and so do we. Max and Sue are here from N.Z they have been here for morning tea, they go back next Wednesday .We have some friends for dinner tonight so better get into the cooking Take Care lots of love Nana anad Pop
25th May 2011

barra
did you catch that barra on the fly rod Lach ???
28th May 2011

Barra off the baitcaster
Sorry for the late reply Dave & Lisa - no, got the Barra on the baitcaster, but have since found some good spots to come back and use a fly (particularly keen to chase some saratoga on the fly at Corroboree). Sounds like we'd better plan another road trip. Keen?

Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0551s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb