Litchfield National Park to Darwin


Advertisement
Published: May 25th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Litchfield National Park to Darwin



Our morning travels started after the mozzies cleared, and we soon made our way to Bark Hut Inn along the Arnhem Highway to get just enough fuel to get us to a bigger (and cheaper) stop. (11.5L @ 173.5c/L).
After being advised by a worker here that Fogg Dam was beautiful and worthwhile checking out, we stopped at this location not far from Humpty Doo – only to find an abundance of wetland birds, and a similar abundance in avid birdwatchers each clinging to their binoculars with a distasteful look at us as we arrived-as though us youngins’ may scare away the precious birdlife.
Continuing on, we checked out the Didgeridoo Hut, and later fuelled up at Noonaman (51.1L @ 158.7c/L). From here we headed south towards Litchfield, passing the great cathedral termite mounds as well as some magnetic termite mounds that almost looked like gravestones amongst the woodlands.
Our first evening stop was at Florence Falls, this was a very social waterhole in the evenings, with warmer water temperatures in comparison to most falls we’ve gone swimming in. Just south of Florence falls we visited Buley Rockhole – a smaller set of rapids not far from the carpark that entertained numerous backpackers with eski’s in toe!
Tolmer and Wangi falls were closed for swimming either due to rehabilitation of the land or unknown crocodile presence as surveys have not yet been conducted in this area. Wangi campground was a busy hive of activity with many caravanners and trailers out of luck for a cheap camp for the night as the place seemed full of campers around midday – lucky we’d arrived early!
At less than $14/night, we put the amenities to good use and cleaned up the camper a little before setting off for Darwin.
Once in mobile reception again, the chimes of missed calls and messages seemed to go on for kilometres as we finally reached our destination – Shady Glen Tourist Park in Darwin ($33powered site/night). Here we enjoyed a fairly extended happy hour with Tom, a Radiography mate (and old housemate) from uni. Although it’s early days, we can tell our time in Darwin will be thoroughly enjoyed – will be heading out fishing over the next couple of days!

Total Km’s so far this trip 14,150




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb