Darwin - Hotter than a hot potato!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
February 15th 2006
Published: February 15th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Welcome to the Northern Territory!Welcome to the Northern Territory!Welcome to the Northern Territory!

Had to stop for the roadsign as we left Western Australia and headed into the Northern Territory!
Hello peeps,

Quick cathup on the old blog as it has been a while. Have actually been working on a different type of blog which is taking shape and will be live over next few weeks - no need for different address - you will just see the change when it takes place, hopefully for the better anyhow!

We are now in Darwin having driven 1,900km in 2.5 days from Broome - a drive which took us through amazing scenery and into the Northern Territory where we gained 1.5hours ahead in time difference, so we are now 9.5 hours ahead of UK time!!!

They weren't lying when they said it was the wet season up here. Daily temperatures have stayed 35-40 degrees punctuated with monsoon downpours lasting for an hour and terrific lightning displays and amazing orange/red sunsets - quite a sight - pictures to follow!

Our hostel here has air conditioning (Thank God) and a large pool if not crappy kitchen facilities but at $18 a night we're not complaining. It's called Cavanaghs for those that may wish to stay there and has large tvs for the sport (mainly aussie cricket) and cheap enough beer prices
The Darwin Sunset!The Darwin Sunset!The Darwin Sunset!

What a beauty!
(cheaper than england anyhow).

At the moment my laptop is in the Darwin service centre being repaired - they're seems to be a problem with the power switch - I'll have to pay for it as the only closest service centre under warranty is Brisbane and it will be a few months before we get there and I'm desperate??? to get some work done - I am able to jump onto an unsecured wireless network at the hostel, sitting by the pool, drinking, cheap chilled beer with the laptop which will save me about $40 per day in internet/business fees (prob cost me $60 in beer tho) - will hopefully have lappy back to work all day friday and saturday.

We'll probably be leaving on Sunday to drive east to Kakadu national park for a few days and then down to Katherine to see Katherine Gorge before driving south straight down the middle to Alice Springs and Ayers Rock, another 2,000km drive ahead for next week - should be entertaining!!!

It's been over 6 weeks since we bought Sheila back in Albany and so far we've travelled 7,800km in her without any problems at all (touches wood).
Swimmer or Dinner?Swimmer or Dinner?Swimmer or Dinner?

Dont think I'll be swimming anywhere around here - thats for sure!
By the time we reach Alice Springs she'll be due her 10,000km service and we've already susssed there is a Mitsubishi garage there and a standard 10,000km service (no problems) should be about $200.

Tomorrow as my computer is being serviced we're of to see all that Darwin has to offer by way of tourism (apart from the bars), which will include the Botanical gardens, Aquarium and museums and things - provided we don't pass out first through heat exhaustion! My consumption of iced coffee and water is enormous as we seem to be seating from the minute we wake up till we go to bed - got to keep the body in shape eh!

Anyhow best be off now - me and Oli are off to watch Steven Spielberg's new film "Munich" at the cinema in about 30 minutes and my stomach is begging for some Chinese food!

Lots of Love

Mike





Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

From the roadsideFrom the roadside
From the roadside

Nice white clouds
A small dam we drove over!A small dam we drove over!
A small dam we drove over!

I wonder how many crocs are in there ?


Tot: 0.135s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0852s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb