Typical Tropical Top End


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Darwin
May 26th 2007
Published: May 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

"Come and visit me" says Dad over the phone. "OK!" I say... and just a few days later I was there, in crocodile territory again. Shaking hands with all the wildlife and enjoying those typical tropical days that Darwin never lacks.
Going home to where all your childhood memories is always a nice feeling. But seeing it again when you're 3 feet taller and able to drive yourself around puts the place into even better perspectives. Dad lent me his 4wdrive which was quite the luxury considering it saved me 1/2 hour walks in 32 degree heats and no shade.

The road trip to Litchfield Park was great fun. 3 cars, 8 fab people, two massive Eskies/chilly bins full of beer and tucker, and a day full of fun hanging out at Florence falls and Buley Rockhole. Unfortunately Wangi Falls was shut due to a free roaming croc in the swimming area. The water falls are so much fun, you can swim under the little ones and squeeze two people on the other side of the water falls, and the big ones at Florence you're able to climb the rocks under the falls and dive from the rocks into the water under the falls. The water is so fresh and full of minerals your skin and hair feels so nice afterward, far better than what any bought shampoo or soap could do!

Near the wharf there is an outdoor deck chair cinema. It has large comfortable seats and cushions provided, lush grass, a trimming of tall palm trees, a very large screen, and a bar behind you serving beer, wine and other nick nacks. You are allowed to bring your own dinner and eat as you watch the movie. The movie was rubbish but the setting, company, and whole idea was fab. A must do in Darwin!

Another great day was Golf with some good ol friends. Took us 5 hours to play 9 holes. And only 3 Vodka and lemonades to get pissed... the heat was so unbearable the drinks went straight to our heads! As the sun set our game finished and we trotted over the road to the famous Mindal beach markets. Crazy as performances, delicious food, funky stores, right next to the beach from sunset through to 10pm. Packed with thousands of people every Thursday night, it is something you can't miss!
I
Wangi FallsWangi FallsWangi Falls

Litchfield Park
spent most days with Dad hanging out with him as much as possible, savouring every moment I could of his fine company, and also catching up with my bro after he'd knocked off from work.

We went to Adelaide Rivers 50th anniversary from when the old railway station shut down. It was quite the historical event. A trip back in time with stories of the settlers there and the way they ran the joint. We also went for a walk into the bush to a small hole in the rock where there was a camp for the soldiers in WWII.
Caught up with lots of family there too. Brothers and sister in laws, Aunties and Uncles etc.
Leigh played in the Darwin Brass band on the drums/percussion at the trailor boat club and we all had dinner there afterwards... lovely!
I am happy I got to see Dad perform his first Lecture at the Darwin University. His new semi-retirement career change from a Self employed Lawyer to that. He did an awsome job too.

The same night I flew out of Darwin, I went for a last minute walk around Nightcliff Beach. I found a nice rock to
Cannon-ball TreeCannon-ball TreeCannon-ball Tree

A rare tropical spectacular
sit down and savour those last few moments. Then I noticed some light comming from the water. At first I thought it was the moon reflecting on ocean ripples, but then I took a second look and realised it was actually a school of box jellyfish drifting in around the cliff. There was thousands of them and they glowed tremendously like a starry sky on the darkest night.
A spectacular moment and I consider myself so lucky to see such a rare occurance.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Mindal Beach Market Mindal Beach Market
Mindal Beach Market

Fire poi performers
Under the shade of a coolabah treeUnder the shade of a coolabah tree
Under the shade of a coolabah tree

Lunch in Adelaide river
Cupid from heavenCupid from heaven
Cupid from heaven

Latest addition to the family
Family group hug!Family group hug!
Family group hug!

Dad, Me, Aunt Ali, Jarrod, Uncle Lex


Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb