work hard, play hard


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia
April 27th 2007
Published: April 27th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Sunrise in BeerwahSunrise in BeerwahSunrise in Beerwah

Planting strawberries
It all started when I dragged myself into planting strawberries at Peter youngs fields up in the glass house mountains. I mannaged to drag mum along with me. Although the work was back-breaking, I was surrounded by good, fun loving, down to earth company.
There I met four crazy Estonians, Tuuli, Kraaks, Woza, and Anika. With the strange language they sang and the odd things they danced and not knowing where the hell Estonia was, I was convinced they were actually undercover extra terrestrials. To much pleasantness I found I fit in with them quite well, but afterall I am a crazy kiwi...

After two weeks worth of work had ended at Peter Youngs, the Estonians abducted me in their Bronze Ford Cortina to chase up some more work. We found some more work in Cabolture and a weeks worth of planting strawberries and ginger picking in Beerwah. The farmers in Beerwah let us camp behind the farm shed and use their facilities.
At night we spent our time played cards, riding the farm motorbike, and sneaking into the pineapple fields to make use of those pineapples that just so happened to be ripe now, but would be rotton
Annika, Kraaks and meAnnika, Kraaks and meAnnika, Kraaks and me

Too much spare time...
by the time they were picked...
During the day after our hands had blistered from the tools and our spines were moulded into hunchbacks by the sweltereing summer sun, we spent our time bathing in the river using sand as our exfoliator to rid the dirt from our clothes and the crusted mud from our bodies, whilst keeping a good eye on the bull sharks we shared the water with, and eating pineapple for lunch!

A hot shower at Ryan Toohey's and Daves place was our reward for all our hard efforts. The evening turned into quite a social gathering with spaghetti, red wine, music, performances on the guitar all round, and sweeet apple pie. The next few days we spent looking around the markets in Yamundi and Maroochydore, swimming at the beach, a visit to the ginger bread factory, crabbing , and preparing for our next venture to Brisbane from Kev and Mums house in Nambour, to made three seperate visits to the airport to 1) Pick up another crazy Estonian, Joss, on the Tuesday, 2) drop me off on the friday, and 3) Tuuli, and Kraaks on the Sunday.

In Brisbane I managed to pilver
Australian baby opossumAustralian baby opossumAustralian baby opossum

In Dannys backyard
a nights stay at cousin Danny Paton's, and steal some time from him the next day to catch up on a small 14 years worth.
I then joined the others who had managed to find a back yard to pitch the tent in, with a convenient distance of only 10 minutes walk from town. We spent days walking around the city looking through the shops and museum, and night time the bars were just a stroll away.
Many thanks to Tom, Maria, Andy, and Patric for having 6 of us crash at your pad over 5 nights. You guys are awsome!!! xox :o)
We met a few of their fun mates too including Sebastian and the Roman dude Marco. On Thursday night we all went out on the town and had a great time. Celebrating Tuuli, and Kraaks departure back to their own wee planet, and my brief 2 week 'bye for now' to Darwin.





Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Playing cardsPlaying cards
Playing cards

I guess the ginger realy got to our heads
Tuuli ChantingTuuli Chanting
Tuuli Chanting

An Estonian tradition, or extraterrestrial?
Okeiko ArtOkeiko Art
Okeiko Art

Annika got creative at the farm
Painting the town redPainting the town red
Painting the town red

Joss, Woza, Annika and Kraaks show us how it's done
City LightsCity Lights
City Lights

Brisbane
Marco's working 'hard'Marco's working 'hard'
Marco's working 'hard'

in his Roman stuff shop


16th May 2007

hei hei tsika
enjoyd your writing and stuff keep it koming
17th May 2007

Hai moo... sounds like great fun...can't wait,to be there and see you again!!!:-) Just a few weeks-I can't really believe how fast time runs ;-) See ya soon,With best wishes,Anna

Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0727s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb