Coober Pedy


Advertisement
Published: May 28th 2013
Edit Blog Post

After leaving Adelaide I spent eleven hours on the Greyhound Bus before arriving at Coober Pedy at 5am. I did manage to sleep quite well actually the bus wasn't full so you could stretch out a bit. Coober Pedy is an old mining town and most of its inhabitants live underground in the old opal mines. The temperature remains pretty much constant at 25degrees. martin greeted us at the bus stop and delivered us safely to our accommodation, which consisted of a small dorm with two bunk beds off the main corridor of the mine. No door or privacy good job it wasn't very full, ha ha. We were about two floors beneath the surface and considering I don't like caves it wasn't too bad, quite fun really, never slept in a mine before. Makes you realise how much we take for granted. The town was like an old film set taken in the fifties, old lorries and mining machinery rusting everywhere. Met up with a girl from Kansas and we walked the town together, there was an underground church, a scenic lookout which you had to climb on a box and peer over a fence and later on We visited a place where they took in orphaned kangaroos. There was a very small one who had only recently started getting out of the pouch, or shopping bag with a fleece inside it, he had just started to hop, he was like a small spring that had no sense of direction and was really funny. Finished the day with a magnificent sunset then back to the mine as we had a five am but to catch the next morning for Alice Springs.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0768s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb