greetings from Alice Springs!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Northern Territory » Alice Springs
December 15th 2004
Published: December 15th 2004
Edit Blog Post

it's hot, Hot, HOT! it must have been about 37C when our plane landed just before noon. from the sky the whole area looked dry. it's almost a desert but a large part have vegetation.

there was another backpacker in my flight who was staying at Annie's Place as well. we were picked up by Shawn from the hostel.

Annie's is a happening place in the middle of the desert - well, more like a bush land really, it's in a hot and dry area but to me a desert should look like that of the Sahara where it's just sand everywhere. it's only 15 minutes drive from the airport.

i will be staying in Alice Springs for two nights only - tonight and on the 18th. in between, i will be with the Mulga's Adventure where we will be sleeping in the bush for two nights. it's only AU$16.- per night at Annie's and the Mulga's is AU$250 which includes, transportation, guided treks and tours, food and a swag to sleep on.

checked-in and took a shower. my roommates for the night were a young couple from the UK, a french guy and a german guy. all friendly especially Vincent, the french guy, who is a bit chatty.

i rented a bike. headed out to the small centre of the town to find something to eat. i saw a lot of aborigines wandering around town. they looked like beggars but they don't panhandle. more about them later...

after a late lunch, i headed up to the old Telegraph Station that is now a museum. it was somewhat of an eye-opener seeing how people have managed to survive in such a harsh environment, in the middle of nowhere, in relative comfort. i saw some wild kangaroos and this time they all lived to tell their friends about their encounter with me. there were a bunch of other wildlifes but i was not sure what they were.

i then pedaled to the Alice Springs Desert Park to see some more wildlifes in captivity. i didn't expect it to be that far. i must have biked for about an hour. and did i already mention that i was in some sort of a desert? but it was all worth it. lots of interesting creatures in there that i have never seen before. i'll post some photos later. the internet cafe at the hostel where i am right now does not have a card reader.

i pedaled back to the hostel and immediately took a cold shower!

tomorrow is going to be an early start. the Mulga's Adventure leaves the hostel at 06:30.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0323s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb