Alice Loop (Mereenie)


Advertisement
Published: June 20th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0



UntitledWell we didn’t make it to Mount Dare, boggy hole or Dalhousie Springs as we decided to wait for a future trip through the Simpson Desert and put all these places into the journey. Also the desert parks pass would cost $90 and we had only planned to stay there for a couple of days.
We have done the Mereenie Loop and saw the gorges which are sight to see. The water in them is freezing cold so there was no swimming for us. We stayed at Ellery Creek Big Hole and had the local dingos howling all night. Next up we stayed at Redbank Gorge for two nights while we did the local walks around the gorges. We also got our first flat tyre for the trip here.
In doing the Mereenie Loop you need to pay for a pass to travel on the road (Aboriginal Land) its only $2.20 but the lady at Glen Helen Gorge didn’t explain it and we had to buy another pass as it only had 2 days validity and we weren’t planning to travel the route in that time. The next place we could get one was at Hermannsburg 86km out of our way but since we were heading there we thought we might stay the night.
This was short lived and we continued towards Palm Valley. 4 km short of arrival we stopped for lunch and turned back as there was not too much of interest (since then we have been told about how nice it is and how everybody seems to enjoy it). Hopefully when we end up doing the Mount Dare trip we add that onto it and experience what others say is worth the trip.
The only other place we could go that afternoon was Kings Canyon Resort and so we headed there.
We spent two nights here allowing us enough time to do the walks around the canyon and to encounter a local dingo that came into our camp searching for food.
The rim walk (6km) around the canyon was spectacular. It took you up and around the rim and down to the Garden of Eden. It was amazing at the vegetation growing in the garden and also the amount of water that pooled at the bottom.
Once we completed the walk we decided to do the creek walk (1km) and this was where you got the photo that appears on the postcards.
From here we went to Uluru and Kata Tjuta (or Ayers Rock and the Olgas). Yes we did climb the rock and there were numerous times when I was thinking what the hell was I doing as we still had to come down this thing, it was worth it though. It took us about 2.5 - 3 hours (we stayed at the top for about a half hour to 45 mins). We weren’t really prepared for this walk and didn’t take up enough water as we didn’t think it would be as strenuous as it was but everything was fine in the end.
Since we did the climb we held off from the base walk and did the Valley of the Winds (7.4km) and Walpa Gorge (2km) through Kata Tjuta the next day. It was quite an easy walk but as we had done the climb the day before we were quite sore. And this didn’t ease up the next day doing the base walk (9.2km) either.
I did get Mick up to see a sun rise over Uluru which we almost missed and we did see a sun set over both Uluru and Kata Tjuta.
Leaving here we went to Rainbow Valley and stayed for one night before heading to Chambers Pillar through the Hugh river stock route were we got our second flat tyre (this one needs to go to heaven but its on the mend and should be good in a couple of weeks (he needs his rest).
Chambers Pillar was used for navigational purposes during the early explorer days and has many signatures dating back to the early 1880’s.
We were going to stay here another night but the wind picked up and it got real cold so we headed back to Alice Springs to re-top up, get our free pancake breakfast at the caravan park, have -5°C temps, get rained in for a day and re-pack the car again.
We are going to try and leave this weather behind and are heading North East through the East MacDonnell Ranges to the Plenty Hwy and North towards the Gulf.


Good to here you made it home safe and sound Clint and Jo (Well as safe as Newcastle is now anyway with the weather you’re getting over there) and glad you finally got a computer of your own. Don’t forget to send us your new email address once everything is up and running. Also the big4 caravan park at Alice now has pancake and dessert stand which Tracey seems pretty excited about!!


Thanks Dan, thought Johnny may have lost it and where’s Simmo off to? Are you still getting rain out there? And what was your postal address again?


Tiss been busy so haven't posted for a while have patience . Tell John just to subscribe its easier that way .





As we have been asked a few times about the gallery and how to get into it, here it is for you this should work for all that are subscribed.
Firstly click on the link that says TraceyMicksOzAdventure, this will then take you to the previous entries and here there is an icon that says gallery. Click this and one photo will come up then click the photo and you’re in the gallery.


Thank you till next time ….

Advertisement



20th June 2007

TBA
Had your fun yet and ready to head back to the bubble? You know you miss us :> BTW.. no longer am I known as Harry Potter... I came up with a spell to correct my eyesight using a laser and s%$#@ of cash... Anyways nothing much else has changed (surprise, surprise)
22nd June 2007

Hey sounds like you guys are having a great time some nice pictures there. Weather has been shithouse around here lately, although last few days have been ok. Hows the old GU going? I bet caltex loves you right now! Anyway at work so keep getting interupted, speak to you later. (get a nice fire going for me)
28th June 2007

Almost ready for the trip
G/day Mate! Missing the beer afternoons badly now...lol I have almost, and I mean almost got the Rig of mine ready for the trip up to meet you somewhwere ( yet to be confimed lol ). I have the New Driz-a-bone, The Croc dundee Akubra, The muddies, The fridge slide, suspension on its way and Rhino racks are almost sorted...Everything but the dates are sorted for me to head out there!!!! Its still raining here and doesnt look like letting up anytime soon... All those pics on the gallery are awesome!! I can't think of anything else to write now and I have to get some work done before the end of the month. Next stop....Birdsville Pub for a beer hey????lol Have you got my pet Crocodile Yet?? Have you caught that elusive fish Yet> I bet you your old man catches more fish than you do in Normanton.....lol Yes, That is correct...MORE FISH... than you. Anyway guys, Renee says Hi. I hope you continue to enjoy the trip....And keep in touch. Cya's Ian
28th June 2007

so i really don't have much news to tell you but just wanted to write something to let you know that i'm thinking of oyu guys. I can't wait to get home and get my present whatever that may be....who knows! but i'm excited none the less. and i'm excited for this weekend aswell. nice and relaxing and a good catch up with some long lost friends. kate came home from europe so we have some photo exchanging to do....and dinner at my friends families place...they have been bugging me for photos of my trip for sometime so i have relented. i finished my Nepal album!! yah! now i'm going to do my india album...maybe it will take me a few months aswell. so i was thinking of visiting you guys around october november time when the weather has settled down. where will you be then and what place is best?? not much else new...hope you guys are having fun! xoxoxoxo miss you!

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0469s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb