Flinders Ranges + Oodnadatta


Advertisement
Published: June 4th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well we did head up through Port Augusta and then straight for Wilpena Pound in the Flinders Ranges to set up camp for 4 nights. This was where it got cold. And it hasn’t got any better yet. The coldest we have recorded has been -1.1°C, that was in Alice Springs (a bit about that latter) but most nights it’s a brisk 4°C or there about.

Wilpena pound is a natural rock formation formed by erosion over time. As there are numerous walks around the pound and surrounds we grabbed a guide and went to explore.
We headed up Huck’s lookout and Stokes Hill first to get an idea of the magnitude of the ranges before taking a walk around Sacred Canyon.
I didn’t like this place. There where some nice rock carvings at the end with a little creek and some very dodgy stepping stones. I made Mick go first hoping he would stop half way to help me as I wasn’t to sure of the stones. I lost balance half way trode on the wonky stone, slipped, one foot went in and the other followed trying to regain my footing. I had nice and wet feet for the rest of the day and Mick just cracked up.

There were two main walks we wanted to do. I wanted to do the Hills Homestead walk (6.6km 2hrs) that was classed as easy with the option of extending up to the two Wangarra lookouts (100m and 500m extra hr) and Mick wanted to do the Mount Ohlssen Bagge (6.4kms 4hrs) trek classed as a difficult hike . We planned to do the harder one first the next day. The chicken kebabs and potato bake didn’t sit well with Mick and he didn’t get out of bed til 1pm. So we changed our plans to the following day. The view was well worth it.
Once at the top we had a view of the whole pound from above. We had to do the scenic flight and booked it for 9am the next day.
With 30 minutes of air time. We got to see the pound, the two gorges, Lake Torrens and the surrounding areas.
It was great. Even having seen it all from above we still did the Homestead walk before packing up and heading off.

The ranges are very beautiful with well designed camp grounds. The only place we found to camp that didn’t have a fee was Youngara.

Before heading through to the Gammon Ranges we needed to refuel and refill our water, Blinmen was the next place and would work well with our trek notes.
There was no fuel or water here so we headed out to the main road and decided to leave the cold nights behind us and stay at Maree which we found to be a nice little place, we looked at the old Ghan train and the old Birdsville mail truck (Tom Kruses) for a little while and decided to start on the Oodnadatta track.

Our notes said we could get drinking water here but it turned out to be Artesian Bore Water. The trailer was out of water but we still some in the Ute so wasn’t a problem yet.
The Oodnadatta track followed the old Ghan line. There were numerous ruins and bridges along the road to look at as the scenery didn’t change much and the going was quite easy with Mick not impressed having not used 4wd since the mud at Broken Hill. Some of the creek beds had a bit of water in them and the bushes looked green. Lake Eyre and Lake Torrens even had water.

Our trek notes suggested staying at Coward Springs for a night and as it was getting hot we thought it would be a good idea.
First thing we did was put shorts and a skirt on. Had a look around and relaxed.
As it was a hot night we left all the windows and sides up. I don’t know if it was the wind or needing to go the toilet that woke me up but when I got outside it was raining (again) and the wind was howling through the camp.
The wind turned to gales and the rain got heavier. We didn’t want to be stuck here for days if it didn’t let up. Luckily it had stopped by the morning and we quickly packed up and left for Oodnadatta.

About all the town had was the pink roadhouse. It looked dodgy so we camped about 100kms north off the side of the road behind some bushes by an old creek.

What was with this weather?

Being sick of South Australia’s weather we headed for Alice Springs hoping it would be better.

Being now here, the days are nicer but the nights are still cold. The local Kmart provided us with another blanket (now with a doona, thermal and minky blanket) to keep warm. We have spent the last four nights here, have topped up our supplies, found drinking water and met some nice people from Newcastle (you guys know who you are, hope you all made it back alright) we as well as them were happy to chat and hang out with other people that don’t hold a pensioner card (thanks Clint for the saying).
They were at staying Penrose Park (Silverton) when we became stuck out Viewmont two and abit weeks ago, when we also should have been at Silverton also. It’s funny how you are supposed to meet certain people.

From here we are doing the Mereenie loop (West MacDonnell ranges, Ayres Rock, Kings Canyon, the Olgas, Mount Conner and Finke Gorge and through boggy hole hopefully some 4wd will be used) and then across to the Chambers Pillar down to Mount Dare and Dalhousie Springs and back up through the East MacDonnell Ranges to Alice Springs to restock our supplies again.

Take care and talk soon.

Dan I gave Johnny the wrong blog details could you give him the correct details next time you see him.

Hope all goes well next week Gez.

Happy Birthday Pete for yesterday.













Advertisement



4th June 2007

Good Work
Hi guys.....Well, it seems I am turning green with Envy...( swearing at you quietly )..he he he.. It's great to hear that you are enjoying yourself...Mick got sick??? serves you right for not smuggling me in your suitcase...lol I cant wait to get up to corner country and have a beer or two or 24 with you, cant swing past after work anymore for that beer...lol dammit... Well, Im sure I can get a week or so in November off work so hopefully we can catch up out there somewhere and have that beer. Nothings changed down here at all, it's all work work work, and saving saving saving to get my rig sorted and funds for the next trip..lol Keep in touch guys, stay safe and I will speak to you both soon.... Get Flexii Flexii Pix soon dude....lol
4th June 2007

Where for art thou??
Hi Guys! again! I think i'm going to be the person to clog up this comment section. but i don't care! i must say tracey you are doing some good notes. and spellchecked thoroughly i like it! sorry i will not be spell checking or doing any capitals so you better just appreciate the text...well sounds like you are having fun. you know you think it's cold there! well try frikkin -30 degrees on the himalayas. you will know cold when yo stay there. i suggest a hot water bottle. they are the best! i know they are nanna style and all but they are great! and thermals work well too. all the places you are going next sound so cool. hope the weather gets better. damn rain how annoying is it?! it has only rained once in melbouren since i've been here so it's been good! getting a little chilly though! Bought a new pair of boots yesterday. black ones. with a point. i love them! and i also put my name down for my trip to kuala lumpur for work in september. 10th to the 21st. fingers crossed i'm given approval! should be good. i'm going to take a week off afterwards to go to Saba trekking. if my trekking boots ever arrive back home from nepal.... The weekend in sydney over the weekend was glamorous! i went down the kiama and gerringong and went to wineries and brunch etc. it was so good...going again this long wekeend with johnny. so excited! we are going to go to 7 mile beach, go for walks and see lookouts, go to wineries and cook indian dinner. i'm going to make chai masala tea too. so excited! haha tracey thatys funny how you fell into the muddy water!! i would have been laughing too hehe. you know it's always the shitty times where the best stories come out hey? Mick i think you should be nice to tracey...you are her only support there. i think i would have punched you if you were my boyfriend. or actually i would have pushed you into the water myself or kicked mud on you. haha! well i should do some work now...glad to hear from you both! hope the trip is going well. i have been speaking with ian and we are going to try and come visit together later in the year. i'll see...i think he is taking a week off work but i wanted to fly in for the weekend! none of this driving for days shit. so i think my original plan of meeting you guys in darwin is a goer...anyway we'll talk sooner to the time. Miss you guys!!! Love Tiss xoxo p.s. nice work on the potato bake! yum! though chjicken kebabs probably not a good idea mick....
19th June 2007

Getting slack!
Guys guys you are getting sack with the updates....i''m waiting! I want news. It keeps me going through the work day :) Oh by the way can you please ask john to be in the blog thing?? He wants to know what you are doing but I want you guys to ask him...his email is john@visiontechsolutions.com.au guess what?! i won 2 tickets to the Wish Ball this Saturday at luna Park- Black tie....celebs....VIP cocktail room....dinner....how cool! the tix are worth 180 bucks each. i'm so excited!! i'm going to get all dolled up...just have to work out what i'll wear- such dilemmas!! speak soon luv tiss xo

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0404s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb