Hilli Goat Farm, Trial of 15 and Ghost Tour


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Norfolk Island » Kingston
February 10th 2021
Published: June 26th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Sadly it was raining this morning so we didn't get to do the scheduled morning bush walk and breakfast. We had breakfast at the hotel and left at a later time. We stopped at the Botanical Gardens to look at the Discovery Centre. There was a display of the almost extinct Norfolk Island green parrot and many of the native flora and fauna.

We stopped at Mt Pitt but could not see anything because of the rain and cloud. Fortunately as we headed to Hilli goat farm the rain eased and then stopped and the sun came out. We were greeted by Emily. We were first taken and given a demonstration of pottery throwing by her Dad. We then met some of her goats and she spoke about her goat cheese business. She has now also branched out to skincare.

We then had a delicious lunch prepared with products from the farm. Bread baked that morning, sweet potato, tomatoes, figs, watermelon, bananas etc. On the way back to the hotel we stopped at Mt Pitt for a view of the island in the sunshine.

In the evening we saw a play based on the Trial of the 15 -where you are an eyewitness to a courtroom drama as fifteen extraordinary characters step on stage to expose Norfolk's colourful and sometimes turbulent past. The testimony of those on trial reveals the story of Norfolk Island - Polynesian visitation, European discovery, convict misery and the arrival of the Pitcairn Islanders. We then visited Cyclorama - a 360 degree painting. absolutely amazing - painted by two women over 2 years.

Next stop was dinner in the annex of No 9 Quality Row where we were greeted by a ghost. She had come from her grave to host the evening. Nice light meal of corned beef salad and jacket potato. Dessert was a small piece of mud pie with ganache.

We were the taken on a walk and talk by lamplight through the ruins. No ghosts seen nor felt. Sprinkling rain forced us on to the bus at various stages.

We all boarded the bus and dropped the ghost off near the cemetery where she disappeared into the darkness returning to her grave. Very effective end to the evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

No 9 Quality RowNo 9 Quality Row
No 9 Quality Row

The venue for our dinner


Tot: 0.264s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 22; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb