Day 5 Nelson Bay to Tiona


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales
November 8th 2019
Published: November 8th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Day 5 After my best night sleep so far we set out for our planned longest day to date at 86 kms. The route promised to be a fantastic day of highlights. The day started with a idyllic 12 km ferry ride across the crystal clear waters of Salamander Bay & up the Myall river to Tea Gardens. Before setting out we checked out the latest fire situation with tourist information & given the all clear. Riding started with 26 kms along the Mungo Brush Trail which was a lot better than it sounds being a flat sealed road that bisects the ocean on the right & the the amazing Myall Lakes NP on the left.


The track linked up with the Old Gibber Rd & Mining Road trail but when we got to the start of the Old Gibber Rd it was closed after our earlier advice that it was open. It looked like we had to go back as we were advised the only way forward was by a closed ferry however fortunately when we arrived it had reopened this morning. Plans B & C were out the window & the only option was to divert to Bulahdelah & wait it out. Every way north is closed (even M1) & diversion roads clogged. Otherwise we are very safe camping at the bowls club for however long it takes.

The scenic route via Tiona Palms, Booti Booti National Park & for a long way up the east cost may be a no go zone for a while. Ian’s often quoted “ it all part of the journey “ is wearing a bit thin but may improve & be more exaggerated over time.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.438s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb