Day 4 Swansea to Nelson Bay


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Nelson Bay
November 7th 2019
Published: November 7th 2019
Edit Blog Post

Day 4. Was another day of 2 halves totalling 84 kms over 8.5 hrs & 700+ mtrs of ascent. The main morning ride was to Newcastle followed by an afternoon ride to Nelson Bay. After rain on day 2, hills on day 3 today was the trifecta of riders pet hates, ie hot head or side winds in excess of 40 kph.

Regardless the morning route was a spectacular change from the mostly coastal scenery to date. The day started with a short Hwy ride out of Swansea alongside Lake Macquarie before branching off along the Fernleigh Track. This former rail line used to carry coal to the Newcastle port but has now been renovated into a 15 km rail trail. The trail was a beautiful corridor of trees along a smooth surface & a slight but continuous 2% rise till half way & then downhill to Adamstown. We then passed through suburban Newcastle towards the coast where we struck a few more decent hills at Shepherds Hill before a rest stop at the Stockton ferry terminal in the heart of the city.

The ferry is a short ride across the Hunter River to Stockton. The next 50 kms to Nelson Bay Was a grind mainly on the fairly busy Nelson Bay Rd initially into the worst of the winds before they assisted once we took the turn to Nelson Bay.

Set up camp at the Halifax Holiday Park & almost immediately invited to a BBQ with 30 sailors on rec leave. What could go wrong.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb