Just Chilling


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Urunga
November 12th 2010
Published: November 16th 2010
Edit Blog Post

After messing about in 1770 for a couple of days we headed south to Hervey Bay, the gateway to Fraser Island - we thought about going back there for the day, but they wanted $165 each for a day trip so we decided to give it a miss. Very expensive here. We had a pizza at the local pub whilst watching England lose at Rugby League - and it cost $43 plus another $14 for two beers! (about £34)

The weather turned very changeable - lots of rain, and intermittent sunshine. Our next port of call was Maroochydore on the Sunshine coast and a wonderful campsite right on the beach called Cotton Tree. It was fab. We stayed an extra night so we could go into the RSL club and watch the Melbourne Cup - the race that stops a Nation. Mixed success - Barry backed the favourite which came in 3rd so he made $2 profit, whilst my old nag, Shocking, who won last year, came 18th.! Great place - could easily spend a few weeks here soaking up the sun and messing around with the waves.

Headed south to Surfers Paradise - what a surprise - a cross between Benidorm and Las Vegas! Stopped at Southport, so we could visit the Movie World themepark for my birthday. It must be the worst themepark in the world - only 5 rides open that were suitable (and I’m not sure the ‘Lethal Weapon’ I went on was really suitable! - I went all numb when I got off). It bucketed down with rain nearly all day, and all the brave souls who had gone spent most of the day just mooching about. Shame really, the rides they did have were really good, there just weren’t enough of them.

Ever had a Morton Bay Bug? Look like something from a sci-fi film (or would if they were bigger) and taste divine. We purchased ours directly from the trawler, and the nice lady even gave us a lesson on how to get into them. Fortunately they were already cooked. You only eat the tails and they taste like lobster.


Spent a lovely couple of days on the beach at Redrock, having just missed the floods and mini cyclone they had! Met a nice couple there and went out to dinner with them - didn’t have time for pudding - the pub closed at 8pm!

Spent the next 3 days with my old school friend Cheryl in Glen Innes - which must be the prettiest town in Australia. Laptop had to go into the shop for 3 days as I picked up a virus and nothing would work.

Now camped at Urunga Heads where they have just finished a wooden boardwalk, over 1km long, out to the beach which they have been building on and off since 1902. On Saturday they have some dignitaries here to officially open it - free food and booze at the pub, so we will be staying until then!

Since we ‘joined up’ at 1770, this trip has turned more into a holiday, so there isn’t an awful lot to report. Hope to go to the ‘big banana’ at Coffs Harbour tomorrow, and the koala hospital at Port Macquarie on Sunday. (life’s all go!)



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.1s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0498s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb