Days 26 to 55


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
June 10th 2006
Published: June 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Apologies for delay in blog. Lack of access to internet and too much fun has delayed things.

Wednesday 17th May
Have just realised that Hugh and Katie have birthdays this weekend coming …and Nigel’s is looming too! Ah well. Anyway, back to the blog.
8th - 16th May
Alice Springs…centre of Australia… an amazing spot with the most fantastic hosts in the famous Farkies. I know the many who came before us will sigh in memory of barbies and hikes in Simpson’s Gap, Stanley chasm, Wiggley’s Hole, the desert park, the reptile centre (where Rachel worked and Hugh was persuaded to wrap an olive python round his body even after being advised that heat makes them tighten their grip. Those who know Hugh well are aware of his heat control problem so this was a true labour of love).
We had Graeme’s undivided attention as he was off work with an injury sustained scoring a winning goal in the last minute from 40 yards. Such a hero. At least that’s the story. In fact, this is the first sick time he’s had in twenty odd years so the gods were in our favour. To add to our luck, Marty and Lachie were struck down by a dreaded lurgy which recurred 4 days later and was cured only by picnics in the outback!
We have been wined and dined as if in a five star hotel. Marty does everything with such ease and panache. Lots of tatties for Hugh She’s real “sick dog”…see Lachie for translation. He assures us it’s cool.
The weather was perfect- 20-25 degrees and cool at night. Katie was hard to shift opting for her idea of heaven in the menagerie of frogs (Clark and Fin bar), lizards (favourite Clinton), turtles (George and co.), guinea pig (Millie) and the dogs (Paddy and Clancy), the trampoline, Lachie’s tennis ball cannon, the boxing bag (Lachie’s latest sport and passion…not so for his mam), the micro scooter, Marsupialami (watched 10 times over)….fab
MJ took a day trip to Uluru (formerly known as Ayers Rock). A visit one feels obliged to do. A rather unwilling participant because it meant getting up at 5am but surprisingly worth the trip. A pretty, impressive lump of red rock if I say so. We were entertained in an en route, cattle station by the famous singing dingo, Dinky, had a champagne dinner to watch the sun go down over Uluru (an experience marred only by the ten thousand flies competing to get in on the act). My fellow visitors were from all corners of the earth and all ages ranging from an 18yr old Korean girl travelling on her own to a widow fulfilling one of her now deceased husband’s life wishes. On the way back from the “walk”, we encountered a hot person fanning herself. On investigation, a Motherwell resident who saw no need to perish in the centre of Australia!!
The trip does cover miles upon miles of flat bush land so there’s plenty of time to either chat or ignore and read a book. I did both. Not sure how to describe the bush other than dusty and grim but the red earth makes it attractive. The rock formations and colours in the chasms are rich and ever changing as the sun hits them.
The aboriginal history centre was fascinating. The dreamland stories and customs still relevant today. Their current situation is not so wonderful and there continues to be a lot of work for Graeme and his colleagues in the town camps despite huge attempts to address the problems. Depressing stuff.
We realised that the temperature was going to drop in Adelaide and we sent our winter clothes home from Darwin. Funny how we react now only to where we are with no thought for future planning. Anyway, Marty and Lynn came to the rescue and we were kitted out with clothes for Katie and a quick trip to the shops for MJ. Lynn and her family are friends and neighbours of M and co. Her dog has recently had pups so Katie was treated to a session with 5wk old pups…
The NW200 weekend caused a flurry of techno activity…the wonders of science allowing us to be part of the act. Endless text messages and e mails sending our race sheets in meant Hugh came in 3rd. Weird. Monday came and we headed off for a sausage sizzle at a campsite in the middle of nowhere. Name escapes me now. We were subjected to the ritual stoning of the tin shunky (dunnie) and entertained to a limbo dancing demonstration from Graeme and Hugh. Great hilarity and saved to video!!
16th-22nd May
Our week was now at an end. With tears (falling) in our eyes, and scarily expanded waistlines, we move on to Adelaide. A city! We were met by Michael (minus the checked jumper). Fresh back from Cloyfin, and the N.W.200, he fills us in on the events of the weekend. First, and so far only, pangs of homesickness, eased by the hospitality of Leilei, Anna, Ben and Mike. Yet more tasty food….arrgh…trousers now way too tight.
Refreshed by a night of sleep, we had a lovely day wandering around Adelaide with Michael. Interrupted by large expanses of park dedicated to outdoor sport, Adelaide is a lovely city. Seems to have mainland European influence. Good shops too. I was held back by Hugh and Mike reminding me of the expanding cases so we head to the museum. It feels good to be in a city. It is autumn in Adelaide, there’s a nip in the air, but still pleasant enough to eat lunch al fresco and people watch.
Back home, Katie is ecstatic as there are two dogs, Jackie and Panda. Table tennis, a big trampoline, a trapeze and lots of toys. A happy child content to build dens and play.
However, not the purpose of the visit so we set off at 5.30 am to do a coach tour of Kangaroo Island. The journey down was really pleasant. The scenery is quite like home. Rolling green hills etc. A short ferry ride and we are herded on to a tour bus. You might read between the lines that this was not the best of experiences. Our first driver was good fun and Kangaroo Island looks fabulous and well worth a stay rather than a visit. The remarkable rocks remind us of Henry Moore sculptures and Seal Bay amazing but we felt pushed and pulled by a rather curt, self important driver. Captain Mainwaring style. He took an instant dislike to our casual attitude and barefoot, dreamy child. At the end of a whirlwind day, we filled out a fairly damning feedback sheet and breathed a sigh of relief that we’d paid the extra for a flight back. The “captain” looked pretty shocked that the tatty Irish folk could afford the plane!! Ha! Get back on the bus, buster!
Michael and Anna took us to Clelland Wildlife Reserve the next day. It sits in the hills behind Adelaide and offers great interactive stuff. We fed wallabies by hand, fed a koala and watched a Tasmanian devil devour a dead pigeon. We filmed him. He’s a confused wee thing. No bonnie!
Back to base, and off to the night market. With a distinct Asian slant, we dined for $5 (2 quid) for as much as you can eat, wandered round stalls laden with tempting fruits, cheeses, breads….you name…you can find it here.
Hugh and I went back for breakfast with Michael the next day. Oh, the freedom of sitting with a coffee watching the world go by without having to keep my eyes burring round my head to make sure the child is safe from predators!!! We spent the afternoon at Leilei’s church where they have a “get to know you” afternoon with Sudanese refugees. We were entertained by a clown…Katie’s birthday surprise (she thinks).
The McLaughlin’s are more than living up to reputation when it comes to Irish/Antipodean hospitality and have arranged a barbeque for Hugh and Katie’s birthday. Good craic, flowing wine, great food….you know the format.
Rachel came over, family friends, Mark and Sarah, came complete with their two children and Katie disappeared to play for 4 hours and Mick with his daughter too. Fantastic stuff.
So…after a day relaxing Hugh and I were treated to a child free evening and headed off to see the Da Vinci Code at the cinema. It being Hugh’s birthday, he preferred to see Mission Impossible 3 so that’s what we did. A rollercoaster, action packed two hours of intellectual challenge was had. We were exhausted watching. Truly satisfying stuff!
A quick bite to eat then home for an early night. Melbourne beckons.
22nd-25th May
Melbourne is a real fabbydo place. Loved it. The hotel Y, cheap, yet stylish and right next to the Victoria markets. It was previously the YWCA and all profits still go to women in crisis. Melbourne has an incredible skyline with an eclectic style of modern and old buildings making it so worth the visit. We managed, in two days, to celebrate Katie’s actual birthday, pack in a visit to the zoo, rides on trams, run round the market, check out Iceage2 and catch up with Gabrielle( a good friend of Arthur’s) and Edith (my mum’s cousin).
We met up with Gabrielle and her two daughters in town. What a good fun bunch. We liked her because she loves Scotland and her eyes fill when she speaks of her time there!! Only kidding. We just liked her and her girls.
On to Upwey and lunch with Edith, her daughter, Kirsty and two grandchildren…2 and 8 weeks!! Hadn’t seen her for 32 years so a pretty intense time discussing all the Watson’s family doings!! Less said the better really. Edith and Graeme live in the most amazing place with a spectacular view over Melbourne and Kitsy has two lovely girls. Truly, stunning stuff.
We pack up, pretty overly overed by this time, and head for the Whitsundays. We’re exhausted but sorry we didn’t get to see more of Melbourne.
25th May - 3rd June
Got to Hamilton Island and landed on the shortest runway I’ve ever seen. Our lane is longer!! Ah, the heat when we get out. We’re back in the tropics. A quick boat ride and we settle on Crocodile Club Hotel. A wee pool for Katie and a bar for Hugh and me. A family band…father, two teenage daughters and young son are the entertainment. I last two songs and start weeping. This was followed by Katie’s second bout of homesickness. Much wailing and gnashing of teeth…from the women! Hugh looks on with a resigned expression. It was bound to happen!! Still, another beer will help.
A new day brings better form all round and we head off to buy the food for the week’s sailing. A full boot of food and drink, cases in our ears and the taxi takes us to Able Point to pick up the catamaran at 6.30 am. Pacific Star, she’s called and pretty damn posh with it. Our Dunnes best outfits look a bit conspicuous but we don’t care. It’s raining and overcast and reminds us of Loch Sunart with all the wee islands dotted about. The one difference being that we could still go swimming without risk of sudden death. At least not from hypothermia. We did have to wear rather fetching stinger suits as Hugh so elegantly modelled.
What can we say about the week in the Whitsundays? After one wet, dull day the weather returned to perfect. Wow!! They came in search of paradise etc. We had an amazing week of snorkelling in coral reef, a peaceful and awesome experience, lying soaking up the sun and enjoying picnics in splendid isolation on white sandy beaches with only the company of very large spiders and dozens of butterflies as company.
We spent time on Daydream Island. A great find and recommended for the next trip….it has everything from an open air cinema to flying fox play park and lots of cold beer.
Mike, Leilei, Anna and Ben made the week so easy. Good food, wine (poured from Goonsacks!), fun company, monopoly, yahtzee, the advise re snorkelling , delivery of yet more parcels for Katie from home (thanks guys…) and ensuring Katie was part of all the fun….we can only hope that we are given the opportunity to repay them some day. The photos say it better than we can… with heavy hearts we left them at Daydream Island…they on the ferry to the airport and Hugh, Katie and I in charge of the safe delivery of what Anna renamed Goon Star (such was her dismay at the sight of boxed wine).
Katie cried and cried knowing that she won’t see her new friends for a long time.
3rd June - 10th June
We’ve hired a car and are heading for Cairns. Think this area has strong Ayrshire connections. There are many familiar place names…Ayr, Dalrymple, Blantyre, Tam O’Shanter Point, Kennedy National Park.
We are now in Townsville, having spent a night Bowen.
Townsville is working out to be a real tonic. Low key, unspoilt. A fantastic water park, aquarium, bug museum. We spent most of a day in a play park. Katie had the ingenious idea of bringing her box of plastic bugs; lizards etc with her and in seconds had a gang of friends to play with. We downed bags, had a picnic and hung out. Sadly, we have to leave Townsville and the Irish Bar (Hugh’s first pint of Guinness for some time) and head on to Cardwell. Not quite so child orientated more than adequate. Back in the car and on to Cairns past banana plantations, mangroves and buildings devastated by the cyclone in March. The tourist industry is open again but the countryside is struggling.
We arrive in Cairns..why didn’t we get here sooner, it’s buzzing! Hugh is amazed at how it has changed. Katie and I think so too since we’ve had to listen to countless tales of Hugh and Hugh in Cairns…something akin to Wallace and Grommit on beer!! He says he can’t get his bearings…hmm..maybe he’s looking for different things. First port of call is finding the kids play area on the Esplanade!! A maze of water fountains, slides, webs to climb and accommodation nearby…we’re sorted. Wandering down the said esplanade we’re confronted by an endless line of body beauties….male and female, work out board al fresco, rollerblading, running, jogging. What a difference a dry climate makes.
A two day extravaganza of snorkelling in the barrier reef, the Kuranda rail journey and the sky rail leaves us skint and knackered.. Hugh’s confusion is vindicated as we’re informed that the population has doubled in the last ten years and development has been vast! It’s raining in Cairns and time to move on to Sydney.
Australia is a fantastic place but we’re yearning for ‘foreign’ fields. Think language barriers and odd smells make the trip more stimulating. It’s too easy otherwise. We’ll see how New Zealand goes.
Having said that, we’ve loved Australia. The people have a wonderfully positive attitude that is infectious. As is their healthy disregard of formality. Anything goes and Katie has been welcomed by young and old alike. The trick for anyone with a young child is find the park, then the accommodation and be prepared to go down a star or two to get the buzz. Otherwise you’ll be in a neat motel room with only each other for entertainment. No offence meant, Hugh!!
It’s World Cup time and Australia are there so we’re looking forward to watching their first game in Sydney.




Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb