Christmas Bad, New Years Good


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
December 23rd 2009
Published: January 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Sydney around 7am and the first thing that hit us was the already intense heat. Unfortunately, this would be one of the few occasions we would actually see the sun in our 10 or so days here... and this didnt annoy us at all. The first night in our hostel was a free cheese and wine night, by wine we mean a bag of goon made with milk, fish, eggs and nuts! Despite the unusual ingredients it doesnt taste so bad and after a few glasses your all set for a good night... and as we both found out, a very rough morning after!

Before we knew it, christmas day was here so we woke up around 9am, and not at all excited went down for the finest christmas breakfast imaginable... Crunchy Nut Cornflakes. If this wasnt exciting enough, we then prepared christmas dinner to take to bondi beach, which consisted of a ham sandwich and an apple. The weather had also decided it would top off an already dodgy looking christmas day by continuing to lash it down with rain, and our bbq beach christmas had just turned into sitting in the cold with a towel wrapped around our shoulders. Ho ho ho.

On Boxing Day we decided to swap the cold beach for a cold racetrack and went off to the races at Royal Randwick. Boxing Day races are also known as International Races and if you bring a foreign passport you get in for free, the only problem is you have to dress half decent, and living out of a backpack this is easier said then done. The races turned out to be a good day and we came away with our wallets still relatively intact.

After a few days of sightseeing and checking out the opera house and the harbour bridge, new years eve had arrived and we arranged to meet up with some irish guys we had met in New Zealand. We turned out to find a decent enough spot with a good view of the bridge but more importntly, a place where you could bring your own alcohol! We settled down around 1pm with 24 cans of beer, a box of goon, and if i do say so myself, a smashing looking picnic. It was long but excellent day and by the time the fireworks arrived they were well worth waiting for as thousands of them lit up the sydney harbour. We carried on partying for a few more hours before catching a late bus back to our hostel. Or in my case, two buses, but the less said about that the better.

It will come as no suprise that new years day turned out to be a complete write off, both weather and physical ability wise, and the last few days have been spent planning on where we are going after sydney. We have just bought our greyhound pass and are planning on travelling up the east coast to cairns over the next 6 weeks, stopping at hopefully sunnier places than sydney on the way. We hope you all had a better christmas than us but fear not, our new years more than made up for it!


Advertisement



10th January 2010

hello
Happy New Year, hope everything is going well for you

Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0195s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb