The Last Few Days In NZ


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » South Island
December 15th 2009
Published: December 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After our hectic and highly expensive week in Queenstown, it was time to take things easy for our last couple of days in NZ and get ready for our flight to Sydney on the 23rd December. The first stop on our way back to Christchurch was Dunedin where we stayed for a few nights. Dunedin was originally settled by the scots and for some strange reason, the city seems to be pretty proud of this. The main reason we were here however was to head off and explore the Otago Peninsular, which is just a short drive away from the city and is home to golden beaches and interesting wildlife. So we were told.

We all rented a 9 seater people carrier and set off on what was the most miserbale day of weather we have seen. We braved a few beaches but as the weather became worst we decided to settle down in a pub for a few hours and wait until later that evening when we could go check out the penguins coming ashore. After a couple of pints and a few unsuccesful games of chase the ace, where i was robbed of 3 precious NZ dollars, it was time to go hunting penguins. We jumped back into our shitty white van and went back to the cove and waited for the penguins. Thankfully, our day wasnt totally wasted as we managed to see about 20 penguins come ashore to check on there nests, some coming no more than a couple of feet away from us.

Our penultimate stop on the Magic Bus was Lake Tekapo, and as we boarded the bus we were pleasantly suprised to see the same scruffy driver as we had all down the west coast...Rich. Ryan however, scared at the possibility of doing another chilli shot, was less then impressed. That evening the whole bus chucked in 10 dollars and we had a massive bbq which was good fun, and as it was most peoples last night, rich our driver decided we should all play a couple of games of ring of fire. Messy.

We are in christchurch now and have a few days to blow before catching our flight to sydney. On saturday we had our last night out as a group before going our seperate ways, this meant sunday was a complete write off where no one could be bothered even to get up.

We've enjoyed our 5 weeks in NZ and have met some really cool people on the way, and we have learnt a few things aswell...

1) Kiwi birds dont exist, we havnt seen one.
2) A night out doesnt officially start in NZ until the black eyed peas, "ive got a feeling" is played.
3) Icelanders love their country a bit too much.
4) The weather is shit. It Rains all the time.
5) Kiwi's need a lesson in pool rules, 1 shot for a foul is not a good thing.
6) Make sure you pay a NZ road toll, otherwise its a $24 fine.
7) Make sure you pay a NZ road toll, otherwise its a $24 fine ( yes this happened twice)
8) Patience is the key to viewing penguins.
9) NZ does not do christmas at all.
10) Only real men finish a fergburger.

This will probably be our last blog before christmas so hope you all have a great time and enjoy the holidays, speak to you soon!








Advertisement



27th December 2009

Hello
Happy Christmas James, hope you're having a great time Love, Annie and Arthur

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb