My Driving-Vacation to Australia Part 3


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
November 21st 2009
Published: November 22nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Streets of Sydney

I commute to work through George St. from my hotel in Darling Harbor neighborhood. It is one of my favorite streets in Sydney downtown. It has multiple personalities. On the south end, it starts in Chinatown where the Asian immigrant settled in the second half of 19th century. In the north end, it concludes at the historic Rock district where the first Australian settlers came and established residence.
Next to Chinatown, George St. crosses Liverpool St. where several ambrosial Tapas restaurants create a little Spain. In the middle, it crosses Druitt St. It is one of the liveliest pedestrian crossings in Sydney with the backdrop of the majestic 19th century Queen Victoria shopping center, St Andrews Cathedral, the oldest cathedral in Sydney, and the equally historic sandstone

It is fun to just stroll around this particular intersection at around 5 o’clock. A sea of people descending from skyscrapers fills the scene. They are all merrily walking to hip ethnic and fusion restaurants and lively eclectic bars to wash the day-stress away. Surrounding me, Romanesque historic and ornate buildings featuring stained glass windows, arched skylights, domes, intricate colonnades, balustrades, cupolas, cast-iron railings and gates are intermingled with the modern contemporary steel and glass office skyscrapers. Many reflections of the historic buildings on the glass towers create a unique blend of the past and the now.

Arriving at the Rock neighborhood, I am greeted by sandstone houses with vibrant flowers adorning the windows and the ornate cast-iron gates. Many historic restaurants and English pubs have been serving the patrons since the earliest history of the settlement. Most of them are almost in their original themes. The Rock also features the panoramic view the Sydney harbor bridge, the north Sydney city skyline, and the postcard famous shell-shape Opera House.

When I use or hear a word often, the word starts to have less meaning to me. Then occasionally there comes a life experience that reminds me of the deep meaning of that particular word. Tucked across from the Rock over the harbor and under the Harbor Bridge is the quaint Milsons Point urban village. From Olympic Dr. vantage point, the other perspective of Sydney panoramic view is hypnotizing. I lose my thoughts looking at the view. This moment reminds me of the deep meaning of the simple word: Beauty.
After crossing back the Harbor Bridge from the North Sydney, I drive through Prince Albert Road off the Circular Quay’s Macquarie St. This road takes me to the entrance of the Sydney Botanical garden. Many couples had their wedding vows performed here. It is one of the most pictorial and romantic gardens in the world featuring radiant flowers, lush vegetations, and the view of the Opera house and the Harbor Bridge... @driving-vacation.com

More pictures...






Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.282s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0629s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb