Waiting for the parade


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
March 3rd 2006
Published: March 3rd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Here we are in Sydney, and quite a culture shock after Chiang Mai, and even Bangkok. The first thing we have had to get accustomed to is that our money doesn’t quite get the same grade of accommodation here as in Thailand. We’re staying in a ‘hotel’ which is about the same rate as the Davis was in Bangkok but here the ‘hotel’ has shared dorms (as well as regular rooms, of which we have one). As a consequence we find ourselves in the company of what seem like VERY young people (making me feel quite old!) and of course everything is, like, sooo cool dude. Even random.
Actually, at breakfast it was reassuring to see some people here even older than us, I think that they had probably all gone to bed early last night so that’s how we missed them. The youngsters are still here in force, however. Cool.
Spent yesterday wandering round the harbourside as we were too knackered to do much else, and, as is usually the case at such times, found an Indian restaurant to restore some sense of normality. Did seem to think the place looked strangely normal though considering the impending Mardi Gras parade.
Old and newOld and newOld and new

Every city has this shot these days

Today gaiety was far more evident on the streets! Some very pretty sights, some not quite so pretty, but definitely a sense that some exotic creatures may be on show tomorrow. Hoping to get some good pics, and maybe even some movie clips to publish on the jonharmonie website. The place is faintly reminiscent of San Francisco, but probably only inasmuch as it’s a major city and is on the coast. It has got a few hills though but the gradients are nowhere near. Also it’s a ferry ride from where we’re staying to get into the city, just like Oakland to SF, except quicker. Plus it’s full of west coast Americans!
Prices seem high, but they’re probably not as bad as I think, just that in Thailand it felt as if everything was being given away. Oh well, if the budget gets broken too badly we’ll just have to sell the house!!!

Hi Luvvies,

Well Sydney is so well like cool like awesome like well cooooool, yep folks we have hit a hostel that is full of 20 somethings! After staying at Davis in Bangkok -( check the website: www.davisbangkok.net )this place is a bit of
Hyde ParkHyde ParkHyde Park

Sydney, not London
a culture shock! the bathrooms are very clean (shared - so 20 something!) and the room is about the size of our bathroom! but it has a fridge and tv, so plenty of crap tv to pass out to after the duty free vodka - brilliant! and only a 7min ferry (yep boats again) to city. For those of you who don’t know about my almost lifetime phobia of lifts, it was conquered at the Davis - it was the only way to get to the room - and after a 12hr hot train journey, plus cabs - I really needed a/c and a shower, hey think I have just cracked the therapy route! if Elena is reading this, go down this route it’s gonna be cheaper and instant! Thanks to John & Cecile for finding time to comment - thought you would be just sooooo busy sorting our house out! (the Davis is definitely you!) - money transfer doesn’t seem to have gone through yet! plus you can email plans! (please attach as PDF)- ha! Hope to meet up with you, NY may be in our plans as our NBF still wants to meet ,Yiphee!


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Hyde ParkHyde Park
Hyde Park

Not London either
The obligatory shotThe obligatory shot
The obligatory shot

of the Sydney Opera House


9th March 2006

Just dropped in . . .
. . . to check up on your progress. Sydney was Kevin's "second home" for a number of years, so -- when he returns from his trip with Randy to Salt Lake City on Friday -- he'll enjoy reading of your experiences and seeing the photos too. I am enjoying your travels and tales!! Here's to living like a 20-something!! CHEERS! XOXOXO

Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0522s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb