Sydney - Settling down


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
March 1st 2009
Published: March 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

So here we are, the major stopover on our voyage, Sydney.

We have been here for almost four weeks now and we are really loving it!! It is a really cool city and the weather has been just prefect for us, mid 20’s most days.

Even on the other side of the world and having a ball, we too have felt the far reaching affects of the financial crisis, with my job in ICON falling through. Basically there is a recruitment freeze worldwide and unfortunately for me, that includes people who were already offered a job!!!! But don’t worry, we’ll be fine. Just give me a moment to wipe away these tears….. NOT!!! We’ve actually spent a lot less than we had expected up to now so we’re still sitting pretty money-wise and we’re moving into our apartment tomorrow. It’s in the World Tower right in the heart of the city and on the 43rd floor so the views are amazing!!!

So to catch you up on what we have actually been doing since we arrived. Firstly we started looking for apartments. It was a lot of fun but quite exhausting at times in the heat. We looked at quite a few, some with flexible leases 4-6 months and some sharing, before we found this amazing one sharing with another couple. We have the ensuite master bedroom (shower and bath) with our own balcony. The room itself is HUGE!!! There was another couple staying in the room until now and we are really looking forward to moving in tomorrow.

Next it was time to do the boring practical stuff, opening bank accounts (we opened a joint one so I can keep an eye on Gareth’s spending on Dominos Pizza - yes he likes it now!) and applying for tax file numbers and Gareth started looking for jobs while I read magazines and books and lounged around, oblivious to the fact that my job no longer existed as I could not get hold of HR in ICON - not bitter at all!! Haha! The job situation over here is a bit tighter than in past years but Gareth has had some work here and there and this week I have been sending my details around to agencies.

In between job hunting we have had time to take in some of the sights of the city. With our love of heights it was only natural that we would want to climb something pretty soon. My colleagues in ICON got me a gift voucher for the Sydney Harbour Bridge climb (Thanks Again Guys!) for a going away present and we decided to book the climb on Feb 21st, for our anniversary. It was so much fun We did it in the evening time and just as we were descending from the bridge the city lights started to come on. The views were gorgeous. This morning we went to the Opera House to watch the harbour swim and it was seriously impressive that kids as young as 13 were swimming the 2K race.

We’re trying to ration out the tourist activities so that we still have things to do at the weekends once we’re here a couple of months haha.

We will be back soon with some pictures of our apartment and the views from our balcony.













Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



5th March 2009

new place, new look ;)
hi guys! you have such a fun over there! and Gareth looks cool I have to say! hhehe :) it must be really very hot there! ;) Lynsey are u going to have your hair cut? not that short lady! :) take care :*

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb