Our first two days here.


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
October 18th 2008
Published: October 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We finally made it to Sydney after being in plane, after plane for roughly 18 hours. Things have definitely been going our way since our departure. We managed to score emergency exit seats on our first two flights, which were the short ones, and we were stuck in regular seats for the 14 hour flight. It was quite comical seeing us crammed in those itty bitty seats, digging our knees into the backs of those in front of us. Well, more so Kerry. After brief deliberation with one of the flight attendants we were moved up to the emergency exit seats, as they happened to be empty. This provided us with about six feet of foot space, which was amazing. Two flight attendants sat across from us during take off and landing, who were exceptionally friendly and we got lots of great suggestions and ideas from the two of them, not to mention free merchandise from qantas as well. We sat next to a very kind lady as well, who also provided us with many suggestions and ideas for our travels.
Upon arrival we caught the train in sydney, much like the Skytrain in VAncouver, and made our way to our hostel, the Funkhouse. I must say, the train system here is much, much better, in my opinion, than vancouver, although quite a bit more pricey. Once we made it to our hostel we were informed by the receptionist that we will be receiving a free upgrade to our rooms and we ended up with a room with just the two of us, which worked out perfectly.
Our first couple of days were spent wandering around this beautiful city, taking in the sights and the hot, hot rays from the sun. The first day we wandered around the suburban neighborhoods of Sydney, near our hostel, which is situated in what is branded the "red light district of Sydney". The layout of this city, presentation, and mannerisms of the people here are mind blowing. It is so free flowing. Through staying at our hostel we were also taken out to several bars, where we did not have to pay cover or pay for any drinks all night. The bars are also open until 7am six nights a week, which is unreal. The strip club presentation here is also awesome. Nothing but leather chairs and super expensive drinks! Oh, and waitresses trying to charge you for things you did not order, then getting the surrounding patrons to threaten you to pay her additional money. That was a bit of a hairy moment, but everyone came out unscathed.
Our second day here, today, we walked to the sydney harbor bridge, taking many pictures along the way and stopping at the Sydney Opera House only to buy tickets to an Opera tonight, which we are both quite excited to see. The greenery here is unbelievable. Lots of palm trees, and the water is very blue and green. Very clear. Unfortunately we did not get to do the sydney harbor bridge walk due to the difficulty of finding the place and the extreme cost of the walk but we still managed to take in many beautiful views on the way.
Tomorrow we get to go skydiving from 16000 feet, which is higher than what our plane flew at on our way here by 5000 feet, and hopefully be taking in some of the beaches. Both of us are already quite burned from the heat down here and maybe, just maybe, we will come back a few shades darker than our pasty corpses were upon departure.

Advertisement




Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0271s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb