Off to Oz!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
August 8th 2008
Published: August 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Opera HouseOpera HouseOpera House

We were here!
Day 1
We arrive at Billabong Gardens at around 7am, can't check in until 1! Grr its freezing! We snooze in the common room til our room is ready. Nice little townhouse room, shared bathroom and kitchen. We snooze all afternoon as didnt sleep on the flight during the night. Go for a sunday roast in a local pub then do some supermarket shopping for the rest of our week at Billabong Gardens as we are finding it expensive already in Sydney. Somewhere between Edinburgh and London prices for everything including groceries! Surprised by this and the cold weather. It is their winter I hear you cry, and we are from Scotland - but we have been sunning ourselves in Asia for the past 2 months almost!

Day 2
Wake up around midday, hop on a bus to circluar quay. We find Sydney Opera House and wander around for a bit. Great view of Sydney Harbour Bridge, can see people doing the climb, it's really high - getting nervous about our climb next week! We go shopping for some winter clothes! Takes a while to find somewhere reasonably priced but we manage it.
Wandered around the city centre through Haymarket,
Harbour BridgeHarbour BridgeHarbour Bridge

View from Opera House side
China town. Check out some hostels from future reference and join the YHA.

Day 3
Taronga Zoo! We take the ferry over to the zoo where we spend the day. So much fun, see lots of animals including Koala's, gorilla's, bongo's, crocodiles, meerkats,platypus............

Day 4
We visited Darling Harbour, walked around. Decided to walk home, only took about 1 and a half hours. Went to an Irish bar for some pool at night.

Day 5
Lazy day

Day 6
Went to watch The Deep Sea at the Imax centre. OMG the screen is 6 stores high its massive and in 3D! Very cool. Wander along Cockle Wharf.

Day 7
Checked out had breakfast at a tidy cafe called Cirtus yum so tasty. Travelled to Bondfi YHA. Got upgraded to a private bathroom woohoo with no extra charge. The hostel is nice and the room is gorg, all the houses in Bondi are brightly coloured we are by the beach! A 5 min walk to the very famous Bondi beach. Its stunning, so happy. Walk around and pass a lifeguard thats on Bondi Rescue! How cool. Have dinner on Campbell Parade.

Day 8
Head back down to Bondi to watch the contestants in the City to Surf race cross the finishline. Its a massive event, really busy, live music and BARBIES all along the beach. Freeze our asses off sitting on the beach until the heavens open then retreat to the dryness of our room.

Day 9
We decide to do the coatal walk from Bondi to Cogee beach. Gorgeous coastal scenery, beaches, the surf. We see Tamarama Beach, Bronte (where we stop for lunch - the best fish supper ever) then Cogee. We bus it home then head out for a couple. Quiet night as its monday.

Day 10
The weather is still not great and we cant drink alcohol as we will be breathilised tomorrow for the bridge climb. So we do our washing and watch millions of episodes of friends.

Day 11
Birdge Climb! 😊 It was so amazing, would recommend to anyone. 3 and a half hours in total, preperation i.e. putting fetching jumpsuits and safety gear on. Our guide Richard was amazing, kept us entertained with stories and facts. Did you know that Pierce Brosnan failed the breathiliser! So glad we done it. Last night @ Bondi watched videos and packed the backpacks which are steadily becoming heavier.

Day 12
Move to Railway Square YHA cant check in for a few hrs so spend it having breakfast, they have a cafe that does toast for $1.50, and going on the net. The YHA is smart, our room basic no tv. Take a walk to the botanical gardens.
At night we head out and have a few drinks while watching a live bands at the 3 wise monkeys. Late night.

Day 13
Lazy day. Night time we go to watch The Dark Knight. $16 each! A daylight robbery, but the film was


Additional photos below
Photos: 73, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb