The Final Leg


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney
May 22nd 2008
Published: June 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

18th - 22nd May - Sydney, Byron Bay (Again!), Sydney (Again!)



The final leg of our journey, Surf Camp to Sydney, and it didn't pass without drama! Originally we were scheduled to leave Surf Camp at 7 in the morning, however, the Sydney Swans were playing in an AFL game at 2pm in Sydney and we were determined to get there! Having done a survey of the bus on the previous day everyone, after a little persuasion, was prepared to set their alarms for 3.30 in the morning! We made the decision not to bother going to bed and had an 'all nighter'. Feeling a little bit worse for ware, we set for Sydney at 3.45 in the morning.

After 2 hours on the road we hit a problem. A further 2 passengers needed picking up from just outside surf camp. Unfortunately, the driver had not been able to contact the office due to it being too early. It was going to be a 3 hour round trip back to where we were meaning we would miss the game! Having tried every option available to us (even offering to all chip in to pay for them to get an
Arrival in SydneyArrival in SydneyArrival in Sydney

The Harbour Bridge
alternative bus) we begrudgingly turned back. The game was out of the window! Gutted! Finally, after a tiring and cramped 12 hour bus journey we arrived on the outskirts of Sydney. We couldn't wait!

The Sydney Harbour Bridge was in sight and we crossed it with Lynyrd Skynyrd, Sweet Home Alabama blaring out on the radio. It was definitely a moment to remember. We checked into our hostel, Wake Up!, which is one of the best I have seen before taking in a little of the city walking down George Street to the Quay where the Opera House could be seen in all its glory. The Harbour is spectacular and it finally hit home that we are on the other side of the world!

It was an early rise the next morning so we could take in as much of the city on foot as possible. We crossed Hyde Park on the way to the Opera House, visiting the Anzac Memorial en route. We arrived at the Opera House and it was a strange sensation seeing the iconic building up close, having seen it countless times in the media. We then walked round the bay to Macquaries Chair where a great picture can be taken of both the Opera House and The Sydney Harbour Bridge and the fact that there wasn't a cloud in the sky made all the difference. After walking back through the Botanical Gardens Rick, Jonathon and I split up and set off for a closer look at the Harbour Bridge. We managed to get up one of the towers which provided some breathtaking views of the city alongside an exhibition on how the bridge was built. We then walked to Walsh Bay and strolled along the quay which is packed with swanky bars and clubs, all a little expensive for a travelers budget!

That evening having successfully covered a lot of the city on foot we ate out in Chinatown with a few people we had met down the coast as well as Kit and Jonny (schoolfriends). It was a good chance to reminisce on the last 6 weeks in Oz and we all agreed we had had an amazing time! We then went out on the town! Great laugh.

The next day, our final day in Australia before we flew out to New Zealand tomorrow, we had our sights set on Bondi Beach. However, I didn't make it as I had to make an emergency trip back up to Byron Bay to collect my Passport from the safe where I had left it at our hostel. Yes...i'm an idiot! One 13 hour bus ride and a return flight later, I was back in Sydney. Having had to change my flight, the others had left to Christchurch the day before, I was sat outside Sydney airport at 3 in the morning intent on catching the Champions League Final. But...the airport was shut! Devastated, I waited outside until 4 when it finally opened. Turning on the nearest TV, the match was on! One of the best matches followed as Manchester United won the chapions league on penalties. Then having just 10 minutes to get through security and catch my flight...I legged it! I was on my way to New Zealand!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb