Flower Power in Byron


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Byron Bay
May 17th 2008
Published: June 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

14th May - 16th May - Byron Bay & Nimbin



Continuing our journey down the east coast we arrived in Byron Bay in the early evening. Having checked into our hostel, Holiday Village, we crossed the street to the reknowned backpacker bar, Cheeky Monkeys for some well deserved drinks!

Next morning it was an early rise in order to pick up some surf boards and 'hit the surf!' Walking down to the beach we were a little disapointed to find the sea was relatively calm. However, further down the long stretch of beach the surf seemed a little better. Once in the water it was great! Having only surfed a few times in the cold waters of Cornwall it made a difference not having to wear massive wetsuits! Whilst off shore we spotted some fins very close to us! A little alarmed, with the thought of shark attack at the back of my mind, we swam in before realising it was actually a pod of dolphins! After 3 hours in the water we made our way back into the town for a look around. Byron seemed very chilled out with no one in any rush to get anywhere and
Finished surfingFinished surfingFinished surfing

Having pulled some outrageous moves, we called it a day
I could have quite happily stayed there for a few weeks.

In the evening we made our way back down to the beach to take tips from some surfers making the most of the last of daylight before watching a spectacular sunset. Along the beach a small band had formed playing bongo drums and acoustic guitar to a small crowd. This is what Byron is about!

The next day we had planned a trip our into the hills to a place called Nimbin. Nimbin is the home of 'flower power!' Our driver was crazy! She sang to herself all the way there and seemed to be on drugs! It made for an interesting ride up! Our first stop was at Minyon Falls, a spectacular waterfall amongst the rainforest. Having had the oppurtunity to take some pictures we continued on to Nimbin. It has to be one of the strangest little places I have ever seen! Made up of just one street it was a lot smaller than expected and herbal shops lined either side of the road. Everyone here seemed very spaced out....We visited the Nimbin Museum where various posters proclaiming Nimbin as a place of sanctuary from the stresses of everyday life covered the walls. It was a great laugh and the people here really have 'no worries!'

17 May- 18th May - Surf Camp



Havin slowed things right down in Byron and Nimbin we had to force ourselves to get up for the bus ride down to surf camp where, surprisingly, we would be doing some surfing! As we made our way on to the beach huge storm cloud rolled in, the winds picked up and mother nature let loose! It made for some great waves and after taking some time out of the water while the lightning passed over (passing the time with a mass sandfight with everyone on our bus!) we hit the surf and wowed the instructors with our surfing ability...or not!

It was a well deserved buffet dinner in the evening followed by a few drinks with our instructors.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0408s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb