Goodbye New Zealand & Hello Australia


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Sydney Harbour
January 28th 2009
Published: January 28th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Pili & Pete Sydney HabourPili & Pete Sydney HabourPili & Pete Sydney Habour

Waiting for our first ferry trip into the harbour
SYDNEY - AUSTRALIA - 21st November 2008

After Fiona dropped us off at Wellington airport, we boarded easily, then had about 45mins sat on the runway, the airline had misplaced the manifest! When we eventually took off, the flight to Sydney took about three hours.

After a little faffing about with a taxi we finally arrived at the Marriott Hotel where Peter was staying. We more or less just dumped our bags in his room and headed out towards the harbour, food & beer with a few touristy sights were the priority.

Pete had a plan! He took us to the ferry terminal and we boarded the ‘Scarborough’ ferry that took us across the harbour, past the Opera House, under Sydney Harbour Bridge and to the fairground where he knew of a particularly pleasant bar overlooking the harbour. I knew Pete would have been doing lots of research.

I have to say I generally hate cities and I’m always glad to be as far away as possible from them. I don’t like the concrete and filth, the swarms of people and the bad air. Saying that, Sydney is absolutely, breathtakingly gorgeous. Of course seeing the famous Opera House from the ferry was perfect and to make it even better the sunset turned the sky to fire. We happily whiled away an hour with a nice bottle of red and a few nibbles looking out and watching the city and the Opera House light up as night fell over the harbour.

We had a brief walk around the Lunar Park fairground to see all the freaks and shiny things while Peter took a few night shots of the Harbour.

On the return ferry Sydney had a surprise in store. All of a sudden the night sky lit up with fireworks. What a pleasant welcome, but really there was no need. We decided there and then that we liked Sydney & Australia.

Back on land Pete took us to a couple of bars, all pretty loud and leery but that’s what we expected really, city bars, booze and Aussies.

Our first evening in Australia will stay with us for a long time.



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Our first Sunset in SydneyOur first Sunset in Sydney
Our first Sunset in Sydney

The city skyline from the ferry
FireworksFireworks
Fireworks

This view from the ferry cost us $10.00


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0242s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb