Settling in Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Neutral Bay
February 29th 2008
Published: February 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

4 Hayes Street

This is where we live! Zoom out for a better idea of where it is in relation to the Sydney Harbour, Bridge, Opera House, etc.

Opera HouseOpera HouseOpera House

View of the Opera House and Ferry from the Harbour Bridge
Well, we arrived in Sydney on the night of the 16th of February and were greeted by our first Australian friend, Bob Potter. Bob was nice enough to offer to put us up in his place in Rhodes while we searched for a place of our own and was extremely helpful in explaining how to order coffee (long black or flat white), how to drive on the wrong side of the road, which direction to look first when crossing the road, whether to watch Rugby League or Rugby Union, whether to refer to someone as a bloke, mate, or an ocker, and most importantly... how to play the game of cricket (of which we are now experts...and for which Matt has suspended his job search in hopes of becoming the next great cricketeer).

After spending the first few days trecking around the Sydney suburbs on foot, we settled on the areas of Cremorne, Neutral Bay, and North Sydney to concentrate our apartment search. This would put us at the doorstep of the city while also being in a neighborhood with easy access to lots of different beaches and attractions. (a perfect spot for visitors ... hint hint)

With the
Sydney HarborSydney HarborSydney Harbor

The view from Bradley's Head National Park
rental market being as tight as it has ever been here, we were preparing ourselves for a grueling and lengthy search. However, being the lucky individuals that we are, we found an amazing place within the first week of being here. It is an extremely large one bedroom right next to the ferry wharf in Neutral Bay, just a ten minute scenic ride past the opera house into Circular Quay (center of downtown Sydney). The apartment has a view of the water and the Harbour Bridge (where there is apparently a pretty amazing fireworks show on new years eve) and is just across the street from a nice little beach, quaint cafe, convenience store, a couple of restaurants, and a hair salon where Heidi can get her hair done. We have attached pictures of the place where you can see a large bedroom, dining room, kitchen, living room, sun room, and bathroom... plenty of room for guests... and don't worry, we're in the process of acquiring/scouring the streets and garage sales for funiture so that there will be plenty of places to sleep.

We've yet to do a lot of sight seeing, since we've been spending our time learning
Sydney ViewSydney ViewSydney View

Bradley's Head Park
the lay of the land and trying to find Matt a job, but even just walking around you can tell it's a gorgeous city with lots to do. We'll keep you posted as we see more sights and settle in, and we hope to hear updates from all of you as well ... we miss you all already!

Cheers,
Heidi and Matt



Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Sydney AquariumSydney Aquarium
Sydney Aquarium

Thanks Remy!
Matt the Traveling JanitorMatt the Traveling Janitor
Matt the Traveling Janitor

Another job opportunity - traveling janitor (and the equipment is free when you find them on the street)
4 Hayes Street4 Hayes Street
4 Hayes Street

4 Hayes Street - our new home
Living RoomLiving Room
Living Room

Living room, future home to a pull out couch
Ceiling DetailCeiling Detail
Ceiling Detail

The apartment is in a 1920's house, and all the rooms have great detail on the ceilings.
SunroomSunroom
Sunroom

Sunroom, with Harbour views.
KitchenKitchen
Kitchen

The kitchen, which connects to the dining room
dining roomdining room
dining room

Dining room
1st Supper1st Supper
1st Supper

Our first dinner and first pieces of furniture
View from FerryView from Ferry
View from Ferry

Our window is in the red circle.
ViewView
View

View at Sunset from our sunroom - you can see the Harbour Bridge in the distance
QE2 and Queen VictoriaQE2 and Queen Victoria
QE2 and Queen Victoria

Breaking news in Australia, the Queen Elizabeth 2 and Queen Mary (big cruise ships) cross paths in the Harbour. We counted 15 news helicopters covering the event and we were told it would never happen again in our lifetime. The Aussies get a kick out of some of the simplest things...


6th March 2008

are you there?
Hi, I'm curious if comments are coming through. I sent a message several days ago and it doesn't seem to show up.
7th March 2008

Hello from the Wootons!!
Hey, glad to see you made the trip safely, we LOVE the pictures, it is so beautiful over there...keep em coming!! New York misses you guys!!
13th March 2008

Wish we were there
Dearest ones, If only we could be young again, we would live exactly where you do. Amazing luck to find yourselves in Neutral Bay. Enjoy, enjoy. We are trying to learn how to participate in your travel blog. . Once we know this gets through we will become more creative. Cheers from John and Elina and Demetri

Tot: 0.113s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0795s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb