Sydney


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Kings Cross
May 2nd 2010
Published: May 4th 2010
Edit Blog Post

I arrived in Sydney mid afternoon on the Thursday and spent the afternoon just chilling out In the hostel. The following day I went out in the afternoon I walked to the botanical gardens and upto the opera house and the harbour bridge. In the evening I went out to watch the rugby at a bar but was still in bed quite early, Saturday went quite slowly I spent the morning trying to find somwhere to buy rugby tickets from. I spent the afternoon lazing around and I met two American guys Cole and Nick who were staying at the hostel we went out in the evening for a few drinks. Sunday I went to the Sydney Football Stadium to watch the traditional Anzac day derby between the sydney roosters and the st George dragons the game was quite good and the atmosphere was awesome I also payed a bit extra and got a seat on the front row on the 40 metre line so that was good. that night i discovered the great australian backpackers tradition, GOON, thats not actually what its called its just what everyone calls it and its a 4 litre box of wine for around $10. by the end of the night the best part of that box had gone, not a great idea. i suppose it goes without saying that i did very little the next day other than lounge around feeling sorry for my self (note: i wasnt the only one doing that today, sunday night was messy for everyone). so tuesday the weather was gorgeous so me and Nick went to Bondi Beach, which id an awesome beach and just lazed around for a few hours. That nght a big group of us from the hostel went out in kings cross, the area of sydney that our hostel was in. kings cross is nice enough but the main street is kind of strange and a bit of a red light district. There are lots of nice little cafes and nice bars but there is also lots of strip clubs, seedy bars, homeless people, prostitutes, lunatics and the biggest black transvestite im sure i will ever see (not that i will be actively persuing trying to find bigger one or another one at all). anyway im sure a good night was had by all, or at least i had one anyway. the next day with the recurring theme of myself, Nick and Cole being in a slightly drunk/hungover state we went to bondi beach again as the weather was nice. there was the three of us and three girls going from the hostel the girls didnt bekieve that it was quicker the way we had gone yesterday and decided they would go there way and meet us there, they arrived at the beach about an hour after we had, never mind the weather was awesome and ive even caught a slight tan, finally. one problem i have with bondi beach though is whenever i went in the water i seem to be the perfect height for every wave no matter where i stand to crash break and crash down either right in my face or on my temple. that amused everybody else, me not so much. we went out again that night but i was a bit more reserved and only stayed out fo a short while before returning to the hostel early on. woke up thursday morning with the intention of spending the whole day out and about only to find that it was raining and didnt look like stoppin any time soon. Iron Man 2 had came out that day, for some reason a week before it did in the USA so Cole, Nick and another american Steve were eager to see it and then ruin it for all there freinds back home. i tagged alon as i couldnt bring myself to spend another day killing time and just kicking my heels. i glad i did tag along although it was expensive for a cinema but the cinema wa awesome all the chairs were big and had there own arm rest on each side so you fighting with your neighbour for it i was very impressed, the movie was good aswell even though ive not seen the first one before. we had a few drinks in the hostel that night but didnt go out. i went for a walk into the city to get some lunch and just have a look around on friday but that was about the highlight of the day before we had a big night out in the evening with virtually everyone from the hostel coming along so that was all good fun. saturday was another quiet one doing very little other than going for food/fluids from when i wike up til when i went to bed, once again i wasnt the only one doing this. Sunday Cole left for Melbourne so we said our goodbyes and arranged to keep in touch which im sure we probly will. Later on in the morning i went with steve to Tauranga Zoo which was quite good although there were a few empty cages/animal houses. Is was good none the less and the ferry ride across is pretty impressive aswell, after we got back we went our seperate ways i walked down to the rocks which is a nice pleasent area od the city not far from the quay where the boats dock. Sunday night i had every intention of having an early night in preperation for flying back to New Zealand the following day. that was obvoiusly never going to happen so a group of us set about playing drinking games. when we had finished all of our own beer the collective effort became concentrated towards finishing off all the leftover goon that had been put on the free beer shelf all togeather around 7 or 8 half boxes between maybe 7 of us at the most i dont remeber exactly. i was up early the next day as i had to check out along with another guy who was staying in my room and we were having breakfast when one of the girls who runs the hostel came in the kitchen, (the girls who run the hostel are a 2 quite young sisters so they have no objection to people drinking lots aslong as they clean up), the only problem is when your that drunk you dont often clean up after yourself however on this occasion we had. it was the first time she had walked through and the first thing she noticed was that there was no boxes left on the free drink shelf, she asked us where it had gone, and surprisingly hangover free i responded casually that we had drunk it the following night, i think she was hesitant to believe us as we were both quite fresh and we had tidied up completely befor we went to bed the night before, but if she didnt believe the two of us then she did about 15 minuites later when two of the others came down looking like they had drank far to much the night before. i no i draged that story on a bit but i was quite proud of us and so thought it was worth putting in. anyway i booked my shuttle out to the airport and waited around until it wa time to leave said my goodbyes to some of the good freinds ive made of the past 10 or 11 days in sydney and left to return to NZ. one last thing in sydney airport i saw a bottle of whiskey for sale in duty free for $5500 who could ever justify paying that and how good could it actually be to warrent it.

anyway, if youve got this far down without getting bored/lost then congratulations i hope youve enjoyed reading it

disco

Advertisement



6th May 2010

Gaddy. Why are you going back to New Zealand? It sounds like the most boring place in the world compared to Australia!

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0486s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb