Overcome Your Fear, In Sydney (Part II)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Darling Harbour
January 14th 2016
Published: January 14th 2016
Edit Blog Post

Front of St Mary's CathedralFront of St Mary's CathedralFront of St Mary's Cathedral

Here, a mother is taking a photo of her daughter while on the way to visit St Mary's Cathedral
Part II



I can't recall how Sydney Kingsford Smith International airport arrival hall looks like from the inside, I can only remember the waves of the ocean at the nearby bay before the plane landed, exiting the immigration gantry and queueing up to get a sim. It was a Wednesday morning, around 10am, Sydney time, and there were 50 over people waiting to get their sim. I saw someone purchasing 3 sim card as he had 2 phones and an iPad. I'd really love to interrupt and suggest to just use tethering so he does not have to take more time in purchasing multiple sim, and save money as well. Among the tourist, who can use 2GB in a single day? Certainly not me as I'd be spending time wandering around appreciating the view and ingest every bits of it. I was lucky to be on the 8th of the queue but it still took me 20 good minutes to possess that magical chip. I couldn't complain as I can see how busy the retail officers were. And it's worth it, it is a good deal, $2 per day for unlimited voice calls and 2GB data. So I
Me at Hyde ParkMe at Hyde ParkMe at Hyde Park

Behind me was the right side entrance of St Mary's Cathedral
got the plan for 7 days.

I didn't mean to eavesdrop but here's a conversation of the 2 gentleman from Optus retail shop:



Officer 1: What day is it?

Officer 2: It's Wednesday!

Officer 1: Man, why is there a lot of people on a Wednesday, shouldn't it be true for weekend only?

Officer 2: Guess what? Wednesday is the cheapest day to travel..



Well, I agree as most of my flights falls on Wednesday, and I've notice air fares are cheaper. Therefore, I should thank my company for giving me Wednesday and Thursday as Rest days.



Voice and Data. Check.

Next, a transportation pass called Opal card. A convenience store not far from the Optus shop is selling these cards. The queue was fast this time. I'ver noticed that the bottled water is on sale but I still find it expensive so I didn't buy, which I regret after as water is more expensive in the City.

Their train system is huge and for a first timer you could get confused. Especially me, I am not verse in navigation but probably my “can do”
The Archibald FountainThe Archibald FountainThe Archibald Fountain

Great place in the heart of Hyde Park
attitude gets me where I wanted to go. I chose not to take the train and the bus to get to Darlington, for few reasons: 1. I might get lost (most popular reason), 2. Weather was not good (too windy and drizzling), 3. I am carrying a big luggage. So I took the cab and the driver was nice enough to tell me that Darlington is just 20 minutes from the airport, which is a great relief.

As he drove, I started to check my GPS to know where the cab driver was heading. He might have taken a longer route, but I was distracted when I saw the Central Station and I was lost in my thought. For some, it could just be one of the normal sights but for me it was an experience. I've always been fascinated by ornate detail of old buildings, babylonian / roman settings, historical places, and the like. Being there is a fulfillment, it's like embracing home and being part of once a dream and now a history. “The Richest Man in Babylon” by George Samuel Clason is one of my favorite books because of its setting and how facts are presented / described.



The cab driver was sharing with me how expensive cost of living is in Australia. He have 2 jobs to sustain his family's needs. After a few more chats and almost 25 minutes, I am at the doorsteps of a stranger's house in Darlington, my feet are chilling while still can't believe that my cab fare was $50, which is twice the rate for such distance in Singapore.



I booked my accommodation through Airbnb two weeks before the trip and I was lucky to avail a wonderful place along Wilson Street in Darlington. As I was traveling alone, a good hotel for 7 days will cost a lot. My first requirement when looking for an accommodation is a clean bathroom. So I really appreciate the time spent by other travelers leaving reviews, it makes search faster and brings convenience to the next travelers. I can't find a hotel that suits my requirement and within my budget. A friend suggested to use Airbnb. Gathering feedback from previous users of the app was fast and the response were good. Not having second thought, I browsed the app, there were so many choices but nothings seemed to suit my taste, or it is way over my budget, which is not more than $100/night.

The following day I saw a listed room in Darlington, I admired the interior of the house, the spacious kitchen and living room with a small green house as extension, a Japanese inspired center table, a big industrial fan at one corner complementing the abstract paintings, and most importantly, a clean bathroom. By just looking at the house will give you an impression that the owner is organized, practical and an artist. The price suits my budget at $90/night. I booked the place for 6 nights/ 7 days. When I entered the house, it looks exactly as what was posted. Well, a bunch of flower has been added as the owner just had her birthday 2 days before my arrival. And the painting were actually hers, she has an eye for abstract and she designed the house. It was lovely.

My room can accommodate 3 to 4 persons and I have it all for myself. I was given an inch thick of folder stating the terms and conditions of stay and the do's and don'ts. There was a comprehensive guide for tourists as well. As I was going through it, I stumbled into a phrase “no visitors allowed” and I started laughing. This phrase definitely does not apply to me as I am alone and I doesn't know anyone in Sydney.



I rested for an hour and started to unpack. I can hear the loud sound of the wind blowing from my window and it started to rain heavily. The freezing cold outside deter me from strolling right away.



At 2pm, the weather was better, the rain has stopped and the wind is more calm. I looked at my itinerary, wrapped myself with few clothes and stepped out. I was thankful to have brought a back pack instead of a shoulder bag for my stroll. A pair of gloves and an umbrella were my first acquaintances. I looked at my GPS as I tried to find my way to Redfern station, the nearest train station from my place, which is a 5-minute walk. As I was reaching Redfern station, the drizzling stopped and I was ready to used my Opal card!

There were 12 platforms in Redfern station and if you took the wrong one, it can get you far from your intended destination. So I did what I am good at, I asked. At every station, there's someone who is assigned to stand next to the train arrival screen and answer inquiry of clueless tourist like me. I was probably the 100th person who've asked him what platform would take me to Saint James station. My first stop is Saint Mary's Cathedral.



Upon stepping out of the station was a busy road and beautiful blue sky. From Saint James station, you'll pass by the Archibald Fountain in Hyde Park, it's a great place in the city to stop and rest while having a cup of hot tea. You'll see folks taking selfies (like myself), having their breaks, kids running around and some are killing time watching people. All sorts of folks.

Contented with the number of selfies I had, I cross the road and head to the cathedral. You'll enter from the right side entrance of the cathedral if you are from Hyde Park. The first statue from the entrance is the “Statue of Our Lady, Help of Christians”, she is holding in her right arm a statue
Chancel WindowChancel WindowChancel Window

Depicting vision of Mary and Jesus in Heaven
of baby Jesus and on the other, a scepter, on it's both sides are angels kneeling and bowing down, one of my favorite statue so far.

A calm feeling fills me as I go from one statue to another to the Stations of the cross. It was a moment to pray and be thankful. I am blessed to be there.



I've read that the church's design is of gothic revival of 19th century, and it is, it is stunning. The interior is of golden-brown sandstones and the pictorial windows are masterpiece, each depicts exceptional quality and deserves admiration. In the western transept of the church is the pipe organ, which I mistaken to be of bamboo material at first. The ceiling has a wonderful branching cross design. Everything is gorgeous. I had a wonderful panoramic shot of the church's interior and transepts, which I have included in the compilations of photos here.

This impressive magnificent cathedral is designed by William Wilkinson Wardwell, a civil engineer and an architect. Makes me want to visit Milan Church.





To be continued..


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Aisle of the CathedralAisle of the Cathedral
Aisle of the Cathedral

This shot shows the branching cross design of the ceiling.


Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.1258s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb