16 17 and 18 Feb 2011 Bridge Climb, Watsons Bay, Bondi Beach


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Sydney » Bondi Beach
February 18th 2011
Published: February 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Marina Bridge ClimbMarina Bridge ClimbMarina Bridge Climb

I made it yippee!!!
16 Feb. The big day has arrived for Marina’s big climb over the Sydney Harbour Bridge. We took the ferry over to Circular Quay and walked to the office on The Rocks. I got kitted out and had to take a breathalyser! (which I passed easily). The group was led by a great guide called Mike who amazingly remembered everyone’s name. He made the climb interesting and fun. Once we started our ascent which was quite scary in places the views were magnificent all around. We stopped at various points to give the youngsters a rest! There was one lady with her husband who was petrified so Mike put her first and gave her lots of encouragement, at one point near the end her legs were like jelly and she had to sit down. To see the structure and hear how it was put together, for very little loss of life (16 men out of 1400, but many were injured), is an amazing feat of engineering. When we got to the top of the arch, the upper most part of the bridge) you could see for miles and there was a lovely cooling breeze and I felt on top of the world. The descent was comparatively easy and I collected my cheesy photos at the end. It was an exhilarating thing to do and would recommend it to anyone.
Afterwards we took an Italian meal over on Circular Quay before talking a ‘stroll’ through the Royal Botanic Gardens which were as described –an oasis in the heart of Sydney, wrapped around Farm cove at the harbour’s edge. They are the oldest scientific institution in the country and house an outstanding collection of exotic trees and shrubs. The diversity is amazing a living museum, the site of the first farm on the colony, fountains, statues and monuments abound, a rainforest walk. There are many species of birds to be seen plus it is home to a bat colony with a wing span of atleast two feet. We have also discovered a famous name sake, we; its close enough – Francis Greenway, a convicted forger who was transported to Sydney in 1814. An architect by trade he was appointed Civil Architect in 1816 and designed over 40 buildings of which 11 survive today. He died in poverty in 1837 falling out of favour for charging exorbitant fees while still on a government salary. Sounds familiar?? He is also famous for being the only convict whose face appears on the local currency.
Our stroll turned out again to be more of a hike but ended back at Circular Quay taking the ferry back to Pyrmont Wharf and having a drink on a terrace overlooking Darling Harbour before retiring for an early night.
17 Feb. Decided to take full advantage of our weekly multi transport pass (Mymulti 1 cost Aus$40 and well worth it) and went over to Watson’s Bay. This was well worth it as it is such a peaceful haven and lovely views across the water to Sydney. Another 20 minutes and we were walking along Bondi Beach with all the hunks and the lovelies. Entertained by a skate boarding exhibition and then strolled casually along the shoreline before heading back on the bus to Watsons Cove for a delicious meal of fish and chips. Hint – get the takeaway from Doyles Takeaway and eat them at the tables provided. The famous Doyles Fish restaurant is exorbitant. A fast ferry back to Circular Quay, grabbed some cash and then another ferry to Pyrmont and back to the apartment for a rest and a swim before we start packing for tomorrow’s flight up to Cairns for the next leg of our journey.
Today’s high – strolling along the shoreline on Bondi Beach and fish and chips at Watsons Cove
Today’s low – the cost of the fish and chips. Doh!
18 Feb Transfer to Cairns and, determined to maximise the weekly ticket, we took the ferry to Circular Quay and the train to the domestic airport. Helped a guy who got his bag caught in the sliding doors – turned out he was a film buff so Marina and he shared a common interest. Talking of bumping into people so far on this holiday we’ve met an American lady with a prosthetic foot the result of a shooting accident, two girls from Manchester and our driver today who was born in Exmouth Devon and has family still in Exeter, The flight today was straightforward and the drive to Port Douglas was lovely. Our apartment is smaller but altogether more modern, well equipped and the balcony looks straight over onto the beach. Its very hot and humid and tonight it was pizza and salad washed down with a cold beer and a glass of wine.
Paradise Paradise Paradise

...or as close as it gets!
There are some exciting and exoitic excursions to be done here and tomorrow we will explore them


Advertisement



Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.048s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb